Door Placement

JBP

What is the best location for the entrance door into a dedicated HT that's roughly 16' x 24', with a 10' ceiling? Where will it cause the least amount of acoustical problems, side-wall towards the rear? Thanks

• Like 1

----------------

On 8/8/2004 3:15:06 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

rear center..... And looks more impressive walking into your theater too.

----------------

That's if you're running 5.1 or 7.1

If you're running 6.1, that complicates the issue a bit... Probably better to set the door there anyhow, and fudge the surround back until you go 7.1, which is an inevitability.

----------------

On 8/8/2004 3:15:06 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

rear center..... And looks more impressive walking into your theater too.

----------------

That's if you're running 5.1 or 7.1

If you're running 6.1, that complicates the issue a bit... Probably better to set the door there anyhow, and fudge the surround back until you go 7.1, which is an inevitability.

How bout you make the whole bottom floor a big elevator...so you gotta walk into the HT from underneathe and it'll feel like you're walking into a living room, and then click a button and have the whole floor move up...then you'll have no doors at all to fiddle with 9.gif

"What is the best location for the entrance door into a dedicated HT that's roughly 16' x 24',  with a 10' ceiling?  Where will it cause the least amount of acoustical problems,  side-wall towards the rear? "

Figure out your seating and risers first then place the door based on that.

Shawn

Ok, on a serious note...

If this is a dedicated setup, then you're going to want to keep the door out of the corners so that you can install bass traps and all that. You'll also want to keep the door away from any speaker locations and away from any first reflection points (the first reflection point would be the spot on the wall that when you're sitting, you can see the speaker in a mirror).

I think the idea of a door in the rear center is by far the best idea (well after the elevator idea that is) 2.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. After some education from this forum and some reading I've decided to go ahead and wall off the HT. I didn't realize that the environemt had such a large impact on sound reproduction and how important it was to start off with acoustically friendly dimensions. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the entrance at the rear wall. What would be the next best location? Thanks

• Like 1

Well obviously it's going to have to be on a side wall then 2.gif

I would recommend a door that is at least behind the main listening position, but not in the very corner...I guess that means far back on the side wall like you originally thought 2.gif