Klipschorn crossover question

edwardre

Good Day! My K-Horns, admittedly 'vintage' (late 50's, early 60's?) have crossovers that have the designation: 'K500-5000 Klipschorn Crossover Network' on the metal label where you'd usually see 'AA' or 'AB'. It's a large beast, about 5 inches wide and 20+ inches long. Anybody know the specs on this guy or more importantly, where I might find another?

------------------

Ed

Fronts: 1960's era Klipschorns (slightly modified)

Center: 1984 Klipsch Belle

Sub: Klipsch KSW200

Surrounds: Tannoy PSM6.5's

Receiver: Denon AVR1701

Video: InFocus LP350 DLP front projector

Satellite: DishNetwork 4722 (DD5.1)

DVD: Panasonic A320

S-VHS: Panasonic PV-S7670

LaserDisc: Pioneer CDL-406

CD: Kenwood CD-404 5-Disc Changer

EQ (for CD player only): Furman E151X2

Protection: Furman AV1215 Power Condition/Voltage Reg

Hi edwardre,

The point is do you like this old crossover from before 1955(!) or do you more like the Klisch AA network, or Al Klappenbergers one or perhaps mine: - fourth order Bessel Highpass , no transformer, resistor level matching-.?? Soon on this forum.

The specs of the old 500-5000 are probably 500Hz and 5000 Hz crossover frequency's but not very steep for the tweeter, probably first or second order, just a cap?

------------------

ELSO

Hi ELSO and thanks for the information you posted both here and on the Asylum BB. I have to admit to being completely ignorant with regards to the intricacies of networks. "4th order Bessel Highpass, first order, second order, resistor leveling" is all Greek to me and has me scratching my head wondering if I have bit off more than I am equipped to chew! Perhaps I should read up or take a crash course. The sum total of my network knowledge goes something like: the crossover freq is the freq at which the signal from the source switches from the woofer, midrange or tweeter. So in the case of the K500-5000, all freq under 500hz would route to the woof, 500-5K to the mid and above 5K to the tweet. Oh, and ideally, you would want the respective drivers to be able to reproduce at those levels efficiently, right? So what does all the other jargon refer to? Sounds like it is much more complex than I stated.

As far as "do you like this old crossover from before 1955(!) or do you more like the Klisch AA network, or Al Klappenbergers one or perhaps mine:"......hmmm....don't rightly know! I do know that I like the sound from my (now identified as) pre-1955 era K-Horns and I had hoped to sonically duplicate that sound in my newly aquired 1984 Belle Klipsch. Boiling it all down, it appears to still require good old fashion trial and error in tandem with personal preference/taste to make the final call! Thanks again!

------------------

Ed

Fronts: 1960's era Klipschorns (slightly modified)

Center: 1984 Klipsch Belle

Sub: Klipsch KSW200

Surrounds: Tannoy PSM6.5's

Receiver: Denon AVR1701

Video: InFocus LP350 DLP front projector

Satellite: DishNetwork 4722 (DD5.1)

DVD: Panasonic A320

S-VHS: Panasonic PV-S7670

LaserDisc: Pioneer CDL-406

CD: Kenwood CD-404 5-Disc Changer

EQ (for CD player only): Furman E151X2

Protection: Furman AV1215 Power Condition/Voltage Reg