I hate my Heresy II's (is it my DENON head unit?)

Born2RockU

I am not so sure you should blame the amp...I think you are talking about a taste thing, the "voicing" as was mentioned before. the mix of reference and heritage may not be to your liking and is emphasizing the differences between lines, to their detrement. you may like the reference series voicing better than the heritage series voicing (reference to me sounds slightly more bloated, fat than the heritage series, ymmv, imho, etc.). is it possible to explore a trade of the heritage front speakers to the dealer in exchange for some reference series fronts? lastly if you want to get the most from the heritage speakers, IMHO, I would look to driving the front speakers with tube gear and leave the rest driven directly by the SS reciever. regards, tony

----------------

On 8/13/2004 6:03:16 AM Born2RockU wrote:

I am pleased w/ everything BUT the Heresy II's. They don't have any color, to me. THe speakers sound so flat w/ no bottom and ...all horns with not enough highs. So in other words it sound too MID Range w/ a HORN sound.

----------------

I didn't notice anywhere in this thread how you have these speakers set up. Forgive me if I missed it, but make sure that the speakers are on the floor. I've read others say that too and now I believe it having experienced it.

I spent 5 hours at a friends house Sunday listening to the Heresy 2's in his garage system. This is not your ordinary garage. This is 1,000 sq ft of vaulted ceiling and partally finished walls with fiberglass insulation stapled between all of the studs and about half where sheet rocked.

This was my second time listening to Heresy's and I was quite impressed with the little buggers this time. Previously we had listened to them on stands in his basement and we both thought they sounded like crap. Hence they were relegated to the garage. After the first listen I was so disheartened about the sound of Heresy's that I couldn't believe people would buy them. This first listen was done in his HT room with the speakers on top of his KLF-20's.

Now they sound great. The difference, make sure they are sitting on the floor near a rear wall. Placed about 6 inches from the back wall, 8 feet away from a side wall, and 8 feet center to center they have great bass. The bass wasn't very deep, but what it had it played beautifully. The major difference between the two listening sessions was one on stands, the other was on a cold concrete floor. We both marveled at the difference.

The setup concisted of an old Yamaha prologic receiver at times or a PAS-3 pre-amp with a AES-25 Superamp at other times. The source was a Pioneer Elite 47a. Interconnects were special silver wire jobbys, and speaker wire was standard Romex stuff from Home Depot.

I brought the tube amp and pre to give my friend a taste of how they sound. The plan was to start with the Heresy's then move the amps inside to the KLF-20's. We were having so much fun that we never felt the need to leave the Heresy's.

What's my point again? Oh yeah, put them on the floor. If they already are, then as others have said, they probably either aren't to your liking or the Denon is not a good match.

I've never heard that Denon but I did own the 4802 for a month. It was mated to my Forte's and not Heresy's, sorry. PM me if you are interested in my full opinion about that ear bleeding POS. Two years later and my blood still boils when I think back at how bad it sounded.