Power Amp Selection for Cornwalls & ARC SP3-A1???

Cuffclean

Hi All,

Seeking suggestions on Power Amp for current set-up. Considering the following:

1) McIntosh MC-30 monoblocks

2) McIntosh MC 225

3) Marantz 8B

4) Dynakit MKII's, MKIII's, MKIV's - heavily modded

5) Wellbourne Moondogs or DRD's 2A3's or 300B's

Looking for something which will mate well with ARC SP3A-1 Pre-Amp. Any suggestions???

Stan

your first four amp choices seem good to me, I think going vintage to match the preamp is a nice choice...though I do not think you need to "heavily modify" any of the dynacos...I had a "lightly re-freshed" (new caps and resisitors) mk IV in my system for a few years and it sounded great...I do have a soft spot for the marantz 8B and the Mcintosh MC-30s however, a citation II would be nice as well. one thing about the preamp, if your sounds like the ones I heard, is that they tend to roll off the top end a bit, be a little "soft". if that is the case then perhaps the marantz will add too much softness to your system. is the preamp bone stock or have you re-freshed or modded it? regards, tony

Of the two Mcintosh amps in question I'd choose the MC-30 any day. Nice as the MC-225 undoubtedly is, the MC-30s simply have more of 'everything'. With the right choice of tubes I think the monos are indeed excellent.....but so is the 8B 9.gif . Choosing between those is like deciding between a nice of bottle of red or white wine.

Anyway, both, the MC-30s and the 8B, ARE classics and I believe they DO justify this status.

Wolfram