tube amps??

Scp53

Im looking to get more out of my sb3's and rb25's. what will sound different going from a cheapo SS stereo $130 receiver to a basic tube amp like a pioneer sx550 receiver. I here a difference but not a lot. do I get used to it?? I have only tried the sb3's not the rb25's. will those benefit more?? and my pioneer receiver pops when I turn it on. actually just polarizes on end of the voice coil and moves the woofers in or out. is this a problem?? I thought mayby i could just leave the speaker selector in the "off" postion

but not "power off" postion. and then turn on the amp with the power strip. this way I here no pop of any kind. would this hurt the amp?? and is there maintince to tube amps, even if there not pushed hard, etc. I have turned it on and had the power dim down on the face panel with heavy bass hits, does this hurt it?? thank you to all that reply. please answer as many questions as possible because they matter to me.

please note: Im a tube amp-retarded person so don't flame me for the questions

scp53

Are you saying the Pioneer SX550 is a tube amp? Sorry, never heard of it. Perhaps I misunderstood your post. If you want to upgrade from solid state to a budget tube integrated amp like Jolida or Antique Sound Labs, these manufacturers have a large selection to choose from. There must be any number of good tube amps on ebay. Other forum members familiar with your market can advise options.

A good tube amp will, IMHO, beat any inexpensive solid state amp any day. Not so much in terms of loudness, but in musicality, atmosphere, detail, soundstage and finess. What is different though, is the bass reproduction. Tubes offer a slightly softer, more natural bass, as compared to solid states' harder, more metallic sounding bass. Tubes also overload more gracefully.

Tube maintenance is minimal. Expect 3000 hours out of power tubes and 6000 hours out of driver tubes. Changing tubes is like changing light globes, easy. Although some tube amps require bias adjustment. Check the search engine here - lots of threads regarding tube amps. Good luck.