RF3 front, what for surrounds?

brubru

I have a pair of RF3's. I am running them off of a Adcom GFA555 amp. I plan on upgrading to a 5.1 or 7.1 channel reveiver, so i need a center channel and surrounds. What is a good match without breaking the bank. My friend told me that the quintets (small) would suffice for my center and surrounds. Is this true? Or, do i need to shell out the cash to get the reference series surrounds. Any other ideas?

Also, what is a good 7.1 receiver to match with my RF3's, preferably in the $350-600 range.

Thanks

Bru

Break the Bank! Definitly go with Reference Series all

around. At a minimum go with the RC-35 center and RF/RB/RS

35's for the surround. IF you break the bank go with RC-7

for the center. As far as receivers Denon, Intergra,

Yamaha, Pioneer make very good receivers. Spend at least $600

for a good 6.1 receiver.

welcome to the forum,

I d stay ALL reference and do it right the first time. other wise you'll upgrade later which equals even more money. as for a receiver, some Denon model would be ok. Members that have more expertise than me will recommend better than I can.

scp53

edit: I replyed right after gcoker did so go with his advise.

Unfortunately to get a good sound, breaking the bank is your only option. Mixing quintets with reference is really not a great idea.

Save up now, do not just buy those quintets just so you can get the surround working. You will end up needing to upgrade again, so get it right the first time. GO REFERENCE.

I would highly suggest buying all floorstanders (for center and surrounds) as I have. It is a great sound. If you cannot, go with RC35 or RC7 as center and some nice RS's. I'm not too sure if the recommendation here is RS35 or RS5/7. Ask.

But please take my word. Go Reference, no matter how much longer it takes for you to save up and afford those speakers.

Receiver wise:

I can highly recommend Harman/Kardon. If you look around online, they have plenty of nice refurbished units in your price range. Maybe look for the AVR525 or 630 to meet your 7.1 needs and also have a lot of juice.

I agree BREAK THE BANK!!!

Do it slow if needed, but don't settle. Build it a little at a time. Look at Yamaha rec., they have never let me down.

We just put together a system for a buddy. And it turned out great! Yamaha rec $750.00, and RF5 fronts. He is very happy! In a few months he will add a new center and rears. And I talked to his wife and she is going to get him a sub for Christmas.

Working out great for him!! Slow, and Low that is the Tempo!

Brubru, ideally you will have to match your Front R/L RF3s with another pair of RF3s as surround channels. Other options for surround chnnels could be considered too, for example RB5II bookshelves because they have identical drivers/horns to RF3. For CC (center channel) you probably would be better off with RC3, although I know many folks would urge ou to go with the baddest biggest CC available, like RF7 :). My opinon is that the drivers/horns n all speakers should be either identical or very similar for sonic synergy. So, in short, forget about Quintets. Not only you have to stay with Reference series, you need to pick the speakers with identical or very similar drivers as the ones used in your RF3s. This will help you achieve truly enveloping sound with very smooth transitions from channel to channel.

I used to have Quintets a surrounds and center channel - they are from a completely different league and do not match RF3s in timbre. I went through the same decision process as you do now, so do not repeat my mistakes.