HTPC or DAC

Shockoman

I have a question about which option is better in the long run. My current CD/DVD player is a 3 year old Onkyo DV-M301 connected to my Onkyo TX-DS787. Since either a HTPC, (DIY) or used DAC will run me about $1K, which one would be a better price/performer. The HTPC will provide more functionality, but would a good quality sound card, like an M-Audio, be a good alternative to a DAC like a Perpetual Tech PA1-PA3 combo?

The HTPC would likely be built in stages, the first being the audio jukebox/DVD player..

Thanks in advance for your comments and assistance

Bob

I would say that a high end M-Audio or EMU card will have a DAC, which will match any outboard DAC with regards to accuracy of conversion. However, these cards will not add anything to the sound, will not correct for anything and will not alter the output in any way to make the recording sound BETTER, which is what a lot of outboard DACs claim to be able to do. The reason I say that is because it's only logical that these cards, made with music creation in mind, cannot alter the source material on its way to the speakers, otherwise they'll give an incorrect idea of what is being recorded.

Myself, I am going to get an Audiophile 2494 (shortest signal path to monitoring) and see how that works out vs. my Pioneer receiver's DAC.

$1k is a lot of money for an HTPC. For a DAC, you'll be fine with $75 for a case/PSU, $50 for AMD CPU, $60 for motherboard, $60 for 512 RAM, $60 for 80 GB hard drive, $120 for a good video card w. S-Video out, $100 for Audiophile 24/96, $20 for keyboard/mouse ($50 for wireless). Total -> around $500 or so. If you also want to use it for A/V stuff, then add in DVD-/+RW ($100), at least $140 more for hard drives, $60 for a decent TV card.

Throughout this the main problems you'll run into are 1) noise and 2) looks.

Noise is a consequence of the fact that PCs run hot. Stock cooling is often inadequate and consists of small fans spinning at high rpm, generating tons of noise. Custom cooling consisting of large aftermarket heatsinks, coupled with large slow-spinning fans will largely alleviate the problem, but unless you place your HTPC into a muffling cabinet it will always make a bit of noise, if even from the airflow in and out of the case.

Looks are a different beasts. While computer cases have come a long way from the ugly beige-boxes of the past they are still pretty big and difficult on the eyes (better ones come from manufacturers such as Antec, Lian Li and Coolermaster). There are cases that try to emulate an HT look, but the tradeoff is they usually come with inadequate power supplies and don't provide enough cooling options, thus resulting in more noise.

HTPCs are clearly the future, but integrating them into a music-listening experience involves a lot of careful research and quite a bit of handiwork, especially if it needs to be done on a budget.

$1k is about where a very good HTPC setups start. Goodies, such as RAID storage arrays for DVD-quality recording of countless hours of movies, HDTV-capable TV-cards, DVI->Component converters, start around that price point and higher if you also aim to make the system look and sound good.

Thanks for the reply and the info on HTPC. I've been doing some research on cabinets and cooling and agree one of the biggest issues is noise..especially in an HT setup where you want it as quiet in the room as possible.

That's is another reason I put the estimated cost at about $1K. The case and appropriate, quiet cooling! Been looking at the Ahanix cases..they look like they would really fit in an HT environment and offer black cases which is what I want to stay with.

The M-Audio 24/96 is the card I was looking at also. Since most of my current library is CD based, it looks like it would be a good option. I have some vinyl, but not nearly as many as CD's.

Thanks again for the input.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I am looking at ......My initial reason was to clean this rat hole up some. Four PCs in full towers take up alot of desk and floor space, not counting the cabling thats involved. I can get a rack that works with it and stack those puppies. I also thought after I read this post that it may not be too bad as a HTPC case as long as you aren't water-cooling or anything esoteric like that <g>.

http://www.chenbro.com.tw/product/product.jsp?p=3&s=303&pid=24

May have to put some rubber feet on it if you use it as a stand-alone