suitable replacements for promedia dd5.1 and sws?

terraniux

I have been planning on upgrading my ultra 5.1 setup with a digital decoder and extra sub for some time, but now that I finally have the money it seems that Klipsch no longer carries either of these products. I was wondering if anyone out there knew of an affordable external decoder or maybe even a HT decoder? As for adding another sub, I have a sub from my old promedia 5.1 THX (amp burned out, had to get ultras as replacement) but I have not been able to find an amp that would work. As far as i know each cone is 4 ohm and I would need an amp that is stable to drive 2 ohms in the 150-200 watt range. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

welcome to the forum 2.gif1.gif

what do you mean 2ohms. where did you get that. you'll need a 4 ohm amp if you run them in parallel. and if in a series I beleive you add ohms so it be 8ohms total for the amp.

if you really want to use this old sub then get a 120 or 250 wt rms 4ohm sub amp at partsexpress.com . the 250 is like $10-15 more so don't even consider the 120 wt amp. but I don't about eq. Im not sure if your old amp driving that promedia sub was flat. if it was tuned with that woofer/box combination then your SOL. get a whole new sub.

my suggestion is to get a whole new sub. partsexpress.com has a Dayton sub for $125 that is 10" and 100wt rms(it seems like a low price but Daton audio is a branch off partsexpress so thats why its cheaper. the reg price is $220. thats still cheap I think). it will beat your extra PM sub anyday and maybe the ultras sub. theres a couple of members on here that own one and say its comparable to the Ultra sub. they say it plays lower and just as loud. hopefully they will chime in. puting a new amp in the PM sub just isn't worth it. those drivers are nothing special and the cab is average build quality. I can't see spending $120+ for a amp when you can get a new one.

thats my $.02

scp53

sweet! thanks for the tip. i'll check out that sub, sounds like what I was looking for.

i read around on the forum and noticed people mentioning the creative ddts-100 as a substitute for a dd5.1, but i also saw rumors that klipsch was going to make a new decoder. guess we'll just have to wait and see? i don't really want to buy anything with that wretched creative logo on it unless i absolutely have to 1.gif