How do I download test tones for my sub?

rdfish1

I searched this site and found a thread directing me to "snapbug.com" or something like that, and it has tones that can be played. I was trying to download them to CD so i could play them in my stereo and test my subwoofer but couldn't get it to work. What am i doing wrong? How do I do it?

Are there better sites or better ways to do this? I have never downloaded anything from the web but the SVS guy said i could do it. ha easier said than done for me.

I've attached a simple Frequency Generator program from Marchand Industries. You can run this on your computer, and record WAV files of the appropriate frequencies with Sound Recorder. Make sure you select "SINE" for both channels, and advance the volume equally for BOTH channels prior to recording. Then you should be able to burn the wav files to CD and play them on any regular CD player.

Hope this helps!

EDIT - I forgot to mention - I just use my notebook computer, and hook it up to an aux input on the pre-amp via a cheap Radio Shack mini-pin - stereo RCA jacks adapter. That's a lot easier - you could do the same with a desktop if it was within patch cord range of your stereo system.

Jim

FG Lite1.zip

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 8/21/2004 4:32:19 PM rdfish1 wrote:

I searched this site and found a thread directing me to "snapbug.com" or something like that, and it has tones that can be played. I was trying to download them to CD so i could play them in my stereo and test my subwoofer but couldn't get it to work. What am i doing wrong? How do I do it?

Are there better sites or better ways to do this? I have never downloaded anything from the web but the SVS guy said i could do it. ha easier said than done for me.
----------------

The snapbug site is a common destination for bass test tone junkies. However, unless your CD or DVD player can also read MP3s, the problem you might be running into that you need to convert the .MP3 files to standard CD .WAV files (16-bit, 44.1 khz sampling), or have the CD mastering program do it for you. If you use someting like Nero or Roxio's recorders, just make sure you choose the option to make an "Audio CD" from whatever menu systems you have and the program should convert the file formats for you during the pre-burn/file processing. Then the finished CD-R will have the MP3s as separate tracks that are playable on virtually any CD or DVD player.