frequency cut off? phase?

sesquim

i juz traded in my ksw10 for a jamo sw410e sub... and this one has a frequency cut off and phase... in the back.. with my ksw10 when i put the volume to halfway i cant hear anything so i have to put it to max but the ksw10 takes every thing i take to it... i put my amp to max and it stiilll pumps out clearly... but with this one even at half the volume on the sub and 3/4 the volume on the amp the sub cracks or makes a scary sound like the speaker is gona pop. nway'z is it with the PHASE AND FREQUENCY CUT OFF SETTINGS? does this mean the jamo sub is powerful and the speakers is broken or cant take the power? at normal listening levels the jamo is really nice. i'm thinking of buying a 10 inch speaker with more wattage and replace the speaker on the sub. or put two 10" sub in ther.

what do u guys think?

----------------

On 8/23/2004 5:45:05 PM sesquim wrote:

i'm thinking of buying a 10 inch speaker with more wattage and replace the speaker on the sub. or put two 10" sub in ther.

what do u guys think?

----------------

The actual volume knob setting has nothing to do with the actual output capacity of your new sub. It's just a way to adjust the level to match your other components.

Given your mixed description of the distortion you are hearing, it is either the sub amplifier clipping or the driver bottoming out... or both. In any case the sub simply isn't capable of producing the output you are asking it to reproduce.

Modifying your existing sub is NOT a good investment. The amp, enclosure, and driver have been designed (ie: EQ'ed) to work together and produce a relatively flat response. Changing any one of these components will drastically change its frequency response and is money poorly spent.

I'd say sell what you have... and buy a sub which meets your needs. In Canada, you can get a used Paradigm PW2200 for about 400$cnd... which will easily outperform a KSW12.

Rob

check if the cut off frequency is not too low on your receiver and your sub.

and check the placement of your sub.

you should also use the 2 RCA input of your sub and not only one.on the KSW10 it helps a lot.

it s strange what is happening to you, i ve a KSW10 in a small room, but i ve already heard it in a medium size room and at half volume you hear it quite well.

it s not normal you have to set the volume of your sub at more than the half.

what speakers do you use and how large is your room?the KSW10 and your new sub are may be too weak for them.

----------------

On 8/26/2004 5:19:40 AM sesquim wrote:

wow, thanks for da replies... umm how do i check my frequency cut off on my amp? the speakers are pro-liners and the room is bout 12x14

yeah i think the amp or speaker is bottoming out.

----------------

my room is not smaller than yours and my little KSW10 works great.

to set the cut off frequency on your receiver you ll have to check on the manual sorry.it s possible that the cut off frequency cannot by changed.for example i ve a yamaha RXV-440 and the cut of frequency is hardware setted to 80HZ.

a little example:

if you receiver cut at 100Hz and you ve set on your sub the cutt of frequency at 30Hz you will only heard bass frequencies under 30Hz.in music there is not a lot of notes under 30Hz.so you don t heard anything on the sub and you push it to a higher volume.

i think you should look at the manual of your receiver.

check the settings of it.especially the size of the speakers (large or small), where does it redirect the bass (to the main, to the sub or to both)...

stuff like this can be the source of your problem.

and check also the placement of your sub, here is a method to find the good place for a sub:

first place your sub at the right place you will listen to your system.

then move arround the room.once you ve found a place where there are good bass, this is the place you should put your sub.

i hope it s clear, i m not very good in english

14.gif