Onkyo Owners

white_shadow

Any Onkyo owners out there that can help me. I have an Integra 6 series receiver, and have problems connecting a sub. All I hear is a hum. I hear noise on speaker calibration, so sub-out should work. I connected the sub-out to a secondary amplifier but the output was very low.

I'm using a Promedia 5.1 sub. The DIY connnects. Currently using (but not working) stereo mini plug (sub) to RCA pair. Also have tried RCA to stereo mini plug.

I have an Onkyo 700 which should be pretty much the same as your Integra 6. It has plenty of voltage at the sub out for me to run a 9 meter cable to my sub without hum. I have a feeling it's an issue with your Promedia sub. I'm not really sure if it is designed to be able to hook up to a home theater system. The sub is designed to receive a signal from a sound card in a computer, not a receiver. You could try a cheater plug on the sub to see if the hum goes away. You can also try to unhook your cable television connection from the entire system to see if the hum goes away. You may be experiencing a ground loop, or possibly the gain on your sub is "incompatible" with an HT receiver.

What "cheater" cable are you talking about? I also wonder if the sub pre-out works in all modes of listening, that is direct, stereo, etc. I doubt the Promedia sub is made for this type of setup, butI've heard of others that have set it up this way. Is the sub-out a very low signal compared to the signal from the mini plug that is output from a PC soundcard?

A cheater plug basically turns a grounded, "3 pronged" plug into a "2 pronged", ungrounded plug. If you have a ground loop in your system, this should take care of it. My SW 12II manual even suggests this if you have a hum when hooking it up. The other option would be to disconnect your tv cable and see if the hum disappears. As far as the signal from the sub out and audio out on a sound card, I couldn't tell you, but they are slightly different animals. If someone you know has a sub, try to borrow it and hook it up. If there's no hum, you'll know it's the sub. It's usually an issue of trial and error in these situations.

Make sure your cables are working and not have a bad contact.

I can confirm that this sub will work on a preamp -out cd-out or even portable mp3 player..Used my 4.1 all the time to check in wall speaker wiring, hooked to a cd player.Like to see peoples faces, when they hear what them little pups can pump out. :)

Check all parts involved to find what's wrong.

Odd thing, I tried again to hook up everything and config it all. I turned on the sub, and there still was a hum. But I looked at my receiver and it was not on. So I thought, it's not the receiver, why don't I switch outlets (to the one my computer is connected to, the subs works off the computer) And what do you know no hum. I wonder whats causing that, but that'll have to wait.

Once the power issues were solved, and connected to the receiver I still heard no bass at all. I had to turn up the control (Promedia to full) and the receivers sub calibration level to +16dB to get the slightest amount of bass.

I also found that it doesn't seem to matter which connector (RCA to mini plug) is connected to the sub-out. It still works.

I wonder if this is an Onkyo sub-out issue. Any Onkyo owners have similar problems? If so what were the fixes?

The sub configuration does work, as rigged as it is. But it is temporary, to use my sub-out and until I get a HSU/SVS/Outlaw. I'm waiting on a response from Integra about this. Some Onkyo's, I heard have had an LFE problem similar to mine. An IC had to be replaced.

I haven't hooked up a 5.1 source, but the sub-out should work in all modes of operation except direct.

Its funny, not too many Onkyo Owners have responded. I've felt that most members were in that HK/Denon crowd. I wanted to hear for myself what the Klipsch Onkyo/Integra sound was like. I think the Integra is awesome. Its not as warm as I would want but I don't think the Integra is working 100% right now. I'll probably have to send her in.

Guest Anonymous

I am an onkyo owner i can just tell you right off the bat that your sound is a direct result of those speakers that were not made for that system.... on kyo is great and its always worked for me

Here's another Onkyo owner for you! Never had a lick of trouble with mine (a TX-DS696)...

Hook that Promedia sub back up to your computer where it belongs and just live without a sub in your HT (switch your mains back to "large" and sub to "none") until you're ready to buy one.