Help with HT Decisions

capta

Hello all, I am currently looking to purchase a HT setup, as my 10-year old boombox just crapped out. I already have Klipsch 4.1s on my computer, so I have pretty much decided to stick with them for HT. I do have some questions for the knowledgeable posters in here, as I am at best a newbie. The room is about 10x12 with vaulted ceiling. My listening requirements are about 75% classical/classic rock music and 25% HT. And budget is a serious consideration.

1)Speaker set. I am considering going with 2)SB-2mains, 2)Quintet rears(B/C the rears essentially have to be wall mounted), SC-1, KSW-12. Is there a large benefit in going from SB-1s to SB-2s to SB3s? How will this setup be for music? Will the quintets suffice or will they be overwhelmed by the SBs in front? Suggestions/alterations? I frankly can't afford the "reference" models.

2)Budget receiver. I have narrowed the field somewhat.

Choice 1) Denon 1801. Can someone comment on this model? Also the new 1802, what is its cost and features vs. the 1801? Worth holding out for?

Choice 2) Yamaha, but there are so damn many models in the low-end price range, I don't know which one I should be looking at. Help? Also, can someone address the alleged "compatabality issue" between Yamaha and Klipsch? Have heard they don't compliment each other, is this true and should I even consider Yamaha? If there's another entry level receiver out there I should be looking at, please say so.

3)Budget DVD. The Toshiba 1600 has been recommended, any comments or other recommendations?

Thanks for your help,

BrianM

the quints as rears will be fine. choose your l,c,r for their tweets and mid-bass woofs, the sub will handle the rest. receivers-yamaha rxv420-price for my klipsch 'buds' $252+shipping-65wpcx5,.06 thd (20to20k)

linear dampening factor:60,a/b speaker out,32 bit processor,dd/dts 5.1, 26 dsp's, silent cenema (for surr.sound w/regular headphones), 5-ch.'stereo', 2 opt.,1 coax digital inputs, NO s-vid in or out, front a/v in...rxv520-same as above w/4 s-vid ins w/s and composite monitor out, 4 opt.dig.ins+1 coax in, 80wpcx5. price-$300 + shipping. let me know. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Since your interest is mostly music rather than HT, you will probably be OK using Quintets in the rear, as Avman says. However, if you can swing a little more $, I'd go for the SS-1s (the matching Synergy surround speakers), or even the SS-.5. I think you will find that once you have an HT setup you will spend more time listening to it than you now imagine. In that case, you'll appreciate having the bigger, badder surrounds than the Quintets, IMHO.

Doug

I am not aware of any Yamaha/Klipsch compatibility issues.

The C7 monster sounds great with mine.

I really don't think that speakers care what's pushin' them...

I just set my mom up with a brand-new HT, and the KG 3.5's she bought sounded awesome on her almost-30-year-old JCPenney receiver that's only 30 w/ch when I tested them.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!