Vintage HK vs Marantz?

Daddy Dee

Anybody compared vintage HK vs Marantz. Say, as to how an HK 930 would do head to head (driving Heritage) with a Marantz 2245, same power, about the same vintage. I know that the HK's signal is pretty sweet and sounds fabulous on Heritage. I remember seeing the Marantz gear in college, but have never heard it on Heritage speakers. Any help appreciated.

The Marantz receivers of the seventies have built a following, and have a timeless, classy look to them - at least in my opinion. However, I do recall at the time they were considered sort of a "me too" design. I also recall taking my brother's 2270 to a McIntosh clinic and having Mr. O'Brian (the longtime Mac maven) be impressed by its performance and saying "They have some real engineers over there."

Note that the Marantz of that time have had problems with switch failures.

Also the ones with the champagne gold faceplate are considered superior to the units with silver faceplates.

The HKs were well thought of, especially the "twin-power" units. I know many people considered the Citation 12 the solid state amp for Klipsch and Altec during the late seventies, with many preferring it to contemporary McIntosh models like the Mc 250.

I know you're probabaly looking for a definitive answer, but it's going to be "Pays your money and takes your choices." Either one will give you good service.

• 4 months later...

I understand that some vintage harmon/kardon receivers had twin powered transformers, but even my $5 70s vintage harmon/kardon solid-state single-transformer 330B sounds much better than the few modern solid-state receivers I have heard still not sure why or how come nobody makes a receiver like this today. Or maybe they do, but the cost is high now.

In constant dollars, a 70s solid-state receiver that sold for about $700 then, should sell for about $2,100 now. Instead, similar quality models cost $3 to 6K! While the vintage receiver sells for $50 to $125 go figure!

How do the new harmon/kardon receivers sound compared to the vintage ones on big ole horns?

3.gif

I don't know if you can go wrong on this one. First, both are still around. Says somethin' about how they were made. My dad had a Marantz ("had" because my little brother pawned it while I was away from home). Anyway always thought the Marantz sounded great and was cool lookin'. Seems like it's a what sounds better to your ears question.

----------------

On 8/26/2004 10:44:46 AM Daddy Dee wrote:

Anybody compared vintage HK vs Marantz. Say, as to how an HK 930 would do head to head (driving Heritage) with a Marantz 2245, same power, about the same vintage. I know that the HK's signal is pretty sweet and sounds fabulous on Heritage. I remember seeing the Marantz gear in college, but have never heard it on Heritage speakers. Any help appreciated.

----------------

I've got a HK Citation 12 twin power supply power amp (60 wrms @ 8 ohms) and a Marantz 2235 receiver (35 wrms @ 8 ohms. Right now, I'm running the Marantz with the LaScalas and the HK into Cornwalls.

Way back in the seventies, I had a HK 900+ quad receiver (with discrete phono CD4 decoder) and a variety of Marantz receivers and integrated amplifiers.

This vintage Marantz 2235 is beautiful to behold. It has a brushed gold faceplate and deep blue lights when powered up. Character of sound is excellent whether listening to classical or rock (ie: Yes CDs).

Big advantage to vintage HK depending on model is that many had two power supplies. Basically, there is more juice in reserve if needed for dynamic demands.

One testament to the quality of these items (whether HK or Marantz) is the number of them still in use.

Whether you choose HK or Marantz vintage, I think you'll be satisfied with the sound quality, build and a product that will still be around in the years to come. Good luck. Hamish

----------------

On 1/12/2005 3:38:42 PM Colin wrote:

I understand that some vintage harmon/kardon receivers had twin powered transformers, but even my $5 70s vintage harmon/kardon solid-state single-transformer 330B sounds much better than the few modern solid-state receivers I have heard still not sure why or how come nobody makes a receiver like this today. Or maybe they do, but the cost is high now.

In constant dollars, a 70s solid-state receiver that sold for about $700 then, should sell for about $2,100 now. Instead, similar quality models cost $3 to 6K! While the vintage receiver sells for $50 to $125 go figure!

How do the new harmon/kardon receivers sound compared to the vintage ones on big ole horns?

3.gif
----------------

Colin,

I purchased a H/K 3480 to run my Cornwalls a year ago. 120 watt per side two channel receiver. Schreechy to the point of being obnoxious. After all the good comments I've read here regarding the twin powered H/K's I snatched up a 730 on ebay $81.00.

What a differance! You can't go wrong for the dollar spent.

The H/K 3480 now resides in the basement (unplugged).