Speaker matching

Dr. Craig Merrell

I'm building a five-channel A/V center around my existing stereo-oriented system. Could anybody recommend a center-channel speaker, Klipsch or otherwise (sorry!), as being a particularly good tonal and level match for a pair of Klipsch Fortes (the original Forte, not the Forte II) currently in use? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

------------------

Craig

This message has been edited by Dr. Craig Merrell on 07-26-2001 at 12:39 AM

Welcome Dr. M of Big D from a former InfoMart showroom entrepreneur... check your hostility at the Mystery Guest thread and hop into this cauldron of Best Intension Klipsch Stew. Speaking of mystery aspects, you are a lot more likely to get better advice by laying out the equipment you have and where you would like to go ASAP. Most of us tend to be empirically long and clairvoyantly short..."don'tcha know, mon!"cwm27.gif

As you probably know, the front center channel is particularly critical for HT... as over 65% of the sound is directed to it by audio engineers who build 5.1 soundtracks. Here you'll find how Klipsch tapered array rolls off one woofer's tail to make dialogue intelligible... I understand Marlon Brando's agent is upset. You'll get tone & timber experiences from outspoken speaker-choppers and way-beyond-bias-fans. You will find our members well forte-fied... but alas I am not. cwm36.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

2-Channel Music Respite Room ala Cornwall under construction...

Welcome to the BB!

I hope you will find this place as fun and informative as I have!

It is interesting (to me anyway) that on the speaker matching suggestions, Klipsch doesn't have an entry for the Forte'. They do suggest the Academy to match with the Forte'II though, so I would assume that would be the best match for the Forte' also...Confused.gif.

The best place to find one is probably at ebay, they do show up there occasionally, or audiogon.com.

Good luck in your search Smile.gif

------------------

Ed W

Craig - I am told the reason that the Academy is not listed as a matching center for the Fortes, yet it is listed for the Forte II, is that they tried to list only speakers that were in production at the same time. The Academy was not produced until after the demise of the Forte I, but during the tenure of the Forte II.

I have Forte's (and now Chorus) fronts, as well. I will have a used Academy (no longer in production) in my hands tomorrow to test it out. I'll try to remember to post my thoughts. I think the consensus is that if you can't use a 3rd Forte as your center, the Academy would be a nice second choice.

BTW - I might have a single Walnut Forte for sale if you want to use it as a center.

Doug

Craig, I would strongly suggest checking out Doug's suggestion of a Forte center for Forte mains. The discrete center channel programming in 5.1 should essentially solve your dialogue intelligibility problem and give you the best integrated front array from a tone & timbre perspective.

My "Edison era" Biggrin.gif knowledge base has updated and improved on Doug's advice in the four months I have monitored this board... and it was his lead that led me to get a great deal on the walnut Cornwalls for my music room.

Be well... and ENJOY! HornEd