vidion connetion question

atom

i keep wondering for a long time about vidio connetion. my receiver is denon AVR-3801. and it has vidio in and out including compoent vidion. but i can also connect it from dvd directly to TV. i don't know whether it will make difference insert a receiver. if not, why the receiver offer such option?

thank you

receivers offer it to give u video switching w/ the receiver/remote & for the onscreen tv display of the receiver functions, like receiver volume level, settings, sound mode, etc.

i like it that way because sometimes i can't see the front of the receiver's display but can see the tv & it's a much better display on the tv.

u can always bypass the receiver & go direct to tv if u can do without these. some say the pictures's better w/ component video direct from dvdp to tv, but i don't see any dif w/ s-video connections.

video is made from 5 'components' horiz. and vertical synch, and red,green,blue color difference. when you combine h/v with color, you get component video. the less you combine-the less you have to 'un-combine- the better the resulting picture! BOA-try again to compare s-vid to component. my suggestion is to use a dvd w/lots of primary colors-like armageddon-to make your comparison. you should notice the colors are more 'solid' and true. you should also notice improved picture 'detail'.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

av, may try that compon video but would have to go direct from dvdp to tv as the marantz has no compon. switching. thanks for the push Smile.gif

btw, just in case, i meant i noticed no pic. dif. going

s-video direct or s-video thru the receiver.

never have tried compon. video. those high prices on the interconnects scared me away initially. cwm35.gif

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

those high prices on the interconnects scared me away initially.

You could probably get away with using just 3 Radio Shack video cables. Nothing magical about the component video cables, as far as I know, except they are all connected into one unit.

I, too, noticed the primary colors are truer with component video than with s-video...

Doug

Seb - I'm no engineer (Ray/Al are you listening?), but I can't see why a component video cable would be any different than a standard good quality video cable, except that there are three cables bonded together. I mean, we're still sending video signal through a shielded coax cable with RCA plugs on the end, right? And I think the bonding of the 3 together is just for neatness/ease of use.

Anyone know differently?

In fact, I use a 6 foot audio/video dubbing cable from Radio Shack, which is 3 coax cables bonded together. Even though 2 of the cables are meant for audio, those two are identical coax to the video cable. (Unscrew the cap on the jack at the end and you can see the construction.) I chose this, instead of 3 separate video cables from Radio Shack, because it was cheaper in this configuration.

Doug

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 07-27-2001 at 03:40 PM