Anybody have Onkyo DV-CP802B Universal Changer?

RichardP

A universal DVD/DVD-A/SACD changer seems like the best of all worlds. The above model is around $450, although some online outlets still do not have it in stock yet. Does anyone have it and/or recommend it? A cheaper alternative would be to get one of the Pioneer universal single-disk players (563, etc.), which can be had new on Ebay at less than $150 incl shipping. Such a price seems like a feasible low cost introduction to multichannel sound. This leads to the next question: are DVD-A and SACD going to continue, or do you think they are a good-sounding, but ultimately doomed, format experiment? I keep reading the multichannel news in Sound & Vision, and it sometimes sounds as if the corporate backers don't seem to be pushing the formats very hard, perhaps waiting for the upcoming HD DVD format to emerge. Any thoughts?

Although I have no personal knowledge of the Onkyo player in question I have been enjoying multi-channel DVD Audio for over 2 years now. I have been considering a SACD player but I have a delimma in that I only have one set of 6 channel inputs. I really don't want to replace my player at this time since it is an outstanding unit and would need to spend over 800 bucks to get a universal player that would be built as well. As far as format I love DVD Audio. I would say that 80% of the recordings I have are very very good recordings. As with any format whether it be DVD A or SACD the disc is only good as the original master and engineering, Garbage in garbage out.