1 rear or 2 rears?

malechi

----------------

On 9/13/2004 10:41:42 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Now I'm REALLY confused. When you say rear channels, are you meaning the CENTER rear? SO that in 6.1 you get discrete 'side' rear channels, but 1 or 2 (matrixed) 'center' rear channels? I guess that way if a distinctly rear sound went across the back soundstage it would be discretely left, then matrixed mono center, then discretely right. Does this make sense.

If my RXV2400 DOLBY DIGITAL receiver has all mono matrixed rear (or side?-I find this term confusing) channels, I'm taking it back cause it's no better than dolby pro-logic.

----------------

No need to take you unit back. It is just a matter of understanding some of the terms that are used, and how each format (DD/DTS) handles the "creation" of the rear channels.

Concerning terminology of the rear speaker(s). I have heard these called the surround rear (6.1) of rears (7.1), or the center back (6.1) or center backs (7.1). Your unit is capable of utilizing all the current audio formats available for DD and DTS.

For a DVD that is encoded with just 5.1 (Center, fronts, side surrounds, and LFE), your unit should be capable of creating a matrix mix of the info from the existing channels of sound, and produce sound from the rears (one or both depending on if you are running a 6.1 or 7.1 setup). If you are listening to a DD-EX DVD, then the rear channel is already coded (mixed/matrixed) onto the DVD itself, and the info is relayed to the rear surround speakers. (do keep in mind that the same signal is going to both the rear speakers (in a 7.1 setup)). If you are listening to a DTS-ES DVD, then you will have a discrete rear surround channel, but there is only one discrete rear channel of information on the DVD. The pre/pro or receiver will send this same discrete signal to both the rear surrounds.

Thanks for the clairfication. I think it's your use of the term 'side surrounds' that confused me. In building a surround system, say starting with 2-ch, I would normally (depending on room architecture and seating positions) add speakers in the following order:

1. L/R

2. add either matrixed center or rear surrounds

3. add the other of the above- now at Pro Logic with 4ch of info to 5 speaker positions (rears are in mono)

4. move to 5.1 system with the above speakers, so rears are discrete

5. add sub for full .1 sound (now at 6 speakers total)

6. 6.1 add single rear center speaker, which I understand for most systems, if not all is just a 'derived' matrix of l/r rear (for 7 speakers, 3 across the rear, note that there are no 'side' surrounds yet)

7a. add either dual rear centers (if room is wide, these are same mix as single center rear- total 8 speakers)

OR

7b. add side surrounds (if room is deep, these speakers would be in parallel as two existing rear surrounds- new total of 8 speakers)

8. add the other of the above if deemed necessary, or add front 'effects' speakers if on 7.1 Yamaha system for a total of 9 or 10 speakers)

HOW DOES THIS SOUND GANG? Unless the room is oddly shaped, I can't imagine having only side surrounds, or side and rear center. I would think you'd want three or four evenly matched, evenly distanced rear speakers in similar acoustical positions to my listing sweet spot. Please correct if I'm mislead as I'm going to be setting up my system soon. Don't really have a rear center speaker and unsure about positioning, but all the Cornwall people have me thinking WIDE room, so I can't imagine using side surrounds in my application. Thanks, Michael

colterphoto1

Hey, I'm new to this but the 3 rear/center surround speakers in support may be the best way to go. However, if you have the choice for HT reproduction in designing your future room shape, go with the long/narrow vs the wide shallow - just 'cause that's the way the theatres are set up. I had set up a fully derived rear channel mono mix with 3 full horns and it's impossible to tell any point source of the signal. I suppose that this is the desired level of performance. SES

Speakers are:

Left/Right Mains....In front beside screen

Center... In front in center best if behind screen else over or under screen

Surrounds....On sides...slightly behind listening positions....

Rear Center (AKA rears)...on back wall and speakers direct sound back towards screen....