Dean's Reworked X-over Mod: RC-7

cjgeraci

A while ago, I was the guinea pig for Dean's mod to my RC-7 crossover. First of all, let me say that he did a great job. As many of you know, tremendous sonic improvements both musically and with movies.

However, as Dean put it, modifying the tapered array crossover was a headache and somewhat complicated. OK, he used more colorful words (who, Dean?)

Also, the resulting assembly did not quite fit perfectly into the RC-7 enclosure (was a thing of beauty though).

Recently, Dean came up with a creative solution. He separated the HF and LF boards, connected them and provided adhesives attached to one board so you could mount it in the body of the RC-7.

Since some of you plan on having Dean redo your RC-7s, I am pleased to report that the rework is fantastic. I recommend mounting the mobile board on the back panel, just next to the cup assembly. I tried other positions within the enclosure, but either the horn interferes, or it was just too remote.

Pictures to follow. Thanks, Dean.

Carl.

Enclosed is an updated pic of the RC-7, in its final resting place. Yes, I moved the RC-7 to vertical - for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was to accomodate the new Peach and Tube CD player.

As some of you know, I recently incorporated a modified Jolida JD-100 tube CD player into my setup. For two-channel, that gives me tubes on the front end (transport and linestage-Peach) connected to a warm SS amp (Rotel). This was my attempt to get me there in lieu of going PP or SET also (in part due to some of my musical tastes).

Halfway through the rapid break-in period with the Jolida (100 hours of 200),we are already there. I am very pleased. Those who own Jolidas already appreciate them, and it seems to work very well with my current setup. Wow, the RF-7s sound night and day and different from my original setup (Harman Kardon receiver and Denon transport). Been a long road.

Only one hundred hours to go.

Carl.

post-13160-138192579343_thumb.jpg

Why, thank you. It has been a work in progress. One step at a time, little by little. Also, lots of trial and error. The good thing about trial and error, however, is that my upstairs family room system has inherited some of the offshoots when upgraditis hits (i.e. one of my receivers, a SVS sub, various Reference speakers, and a pair of Axioms).

Carl.