RSW-12 vs. Martin Logan Depth

mdxsierra

I'm setting up my system, so far we have a RC-7 center channel, Heresy II fronts, SB-2 rears w/ a Denon 3802 receiver. The shop where I purchased my amp is selling Martin Logan in lieu of Klipsch. Has anyone heard the ML Depth (3-8")? Or side by side w/ a RSW-12? Any help with input on the 2 would be greatly appreciated in decision. I heard them seperately and really couldn't hear/feel any difference.

thanks

Welcome to the forum!!!

Both subwoofers are very good, but expensive. I prefer the Klipsch RSW-12 and RSW-15 for music and movies.

You should also look at SVS which is an Internet company that has no brick and mortar dealers. Their return policy is very good and their prices are low. Performance is high.

Bill

I would always perhaps "overbuy" a little on the sub. If you havn;t got it.. you cant flaunt it. You want clean powerful bursts of energy, not a system with the other speakers you have to not have the thump.

The RSW 15 or SVS has a fantastic loyalty on this BB.

I have the RSW 15.. it keeps me very very happy!

Just my opinion here and I have heard both subs extensively. The RSW-15 has some good slam in the upper frequencies and sounds quite nice down to 30hz or so but rolls off. The Depth goes lower, flatter, and tighter than the RSW15. Depth is one of the fastest subs I've ever heard. A lot of subs that are more expensive but I think ML did an amazing job on this one for the price. I absolutely believe that the Depth trounces all over the RSW-15 in every way. And it's smaller too...

The Martin Logan Depth has a 300 watt amp driving 3 eight inch drivers. It weighs 65 pounds.

The RSW-15 has a 650 watt amp driving a 34 pound motor structure attached to a 15 inch driver. The RSW-15 weighs a total of 85 pounds.

I have heard the ML Depth. It is good for haveing such small drivers and such a small amp, but it does not trounce the RSW-15. The laws of physics have not been repealed for Martin Logan.

Bill

The Martin Logan's are some amazing subs, i've listened to both the Depth and the Descent, I really liked both, they are extremely tight and fast, that was the only sub where i just could not tell where the bass was coming from. You wouldn't know if the sub was working at all, i could just see the woofers working very fast, until it was switched off then i could tell the difference. It just fill the room with soft vibration make the music fuller. They are quite good for movies but nothing like the RSW 15 or Earthquakes and Sunfire sig. They are still amazing subs though. If i have some spare cash i'd definitely get them just for their very clean and neutral bass.

Looking at the SV subs (and reading the great reviews on this board) has added another sub in my query. Has anyone heard all 4 listed (ML Depth, SVS & RSW-12 or15)? My listening will most likely be 25% movies & 75% music. I'm getting married next June and my fiance graciously allowed me to finish my speaker purchases, knowing that afterwards that our money will be spent on a house purchase.

So what would be your purchase and why?

Everyone on this board has been a tremendous help, there are some great posts.

----------------

On 9/19/2004 5:05:45 PM mdxsierra wrote:

Looking at the SV subs (and reading the great reviews on this board) has added another sub in my query. Has anyone heard all 4 listed (ML Depth, SVS & RSW-12 or15)? My listening will most likely be 25% movies & 75% music. I'm getting married next June and my fiance graciously allowed me to finish my speaker purchases, knowing that afterwards that our money will be spent on a house purchase.

So what would be your purchase and why?

Everyone on this board has been a tremendous help, there are some great posts.

----------------

How much are you planning to spend? The RSW-15 retails for $1800. That same amount will get you an SVS PB2-Ultra(black only). That is alot of sub for the money. As good as the RSW-15 is I think most would agree it's not quite in the PB2-Ultra's league.

Check out their whole line up. The only thing is unlike the Klipsch line, you can't listen before you buy unless you know someone who has one. So if you're worried about that go RSW. They are great subs.

1.gif

Best thing to do is to test all 4 subs in your own room, it's very rare to find a dealer that would do that for you, but every subs behaves very differently with your room's acoustics. I haven;t listened to any SVS yet, i've heard a lot of good stuffs about them here on the klipsch forum. That's where i first heard about them. While i've listened to the Klipsch's and the ML Descent, i'd deffinitely choose it over the RSW. It's less boomier and has a very flat respond. I reckon you need 2 subs anyway. One for music and the other for movies.