amplifier hum????

rowooo

Please help...I have an Adcom GFA 5500 amp. I have owned this amp for five years or so and have never had any problems with it till now. I love the sound of this amp so I definitely want to get this fixed. I went to turn my system on this morning and I notice an electrical hum coming from the front of the amp. I unplugged the amp and plugged it in to different outlets throughout the house and it still hums. I contacted Adcom and they said in all probability the transformers loose or coming loose. The hum is loud enough to hear from five feet or so, and it's driving me nuts. It used to be totally quiet, not even a hint of noise. There is a place nearby that works on Adcom but I just wanted to see if any of you have some kind of idea about this problem. THANKS

I have a GFA 7000 and it had the same problem a couple of years ago. I took it to the dealer and they tightened up the transformer and I have had no problems since then. It did not look like it was a very difficult job. If it had not been under warranty I would have tightened it up myself. Good luck.

As far as having it repaired at I service center I can only guess at the price. I don't think it should cost more than 1 hour of labor as there are no parts involved. If you are considering doing it yourself, all you have to do is remove the cover locate the transformer and tighten the screws that hold it to the frame. If you are not comfortable with the idea of going inside the amp take it to a service center. I have always been bad about trying to fix things myself and am comfortable with the mechanical side of things. I wouldn't think of trying to repair or replace electrical components as I have no experience there. If you do decide to open it up turn the power button off while a source is still playing. If it is like mine it should play for a few seconds after the power is off. Then unplug it. This should remove the possibility of there being any current left in the capacitors when you get inside. There are a lot of folks on this board who are a lot more knowledgeable then me so hopefully they correct any mistakes I may have made. Good luck.