what do you think

steelie

After buying a test tones disc I mapped out the frequency response of my new sub and found that my biggest dip, -2db, occurs at 40 hz. My biggest peak is at 50hz, however, and it's at +5 db. Since this is the first time I've ever done this sort of mapping I'm not so sure I'm reading this data correctly. However, from my sparse understanding I would think this is fairly good. I believe that somewhere on this forum I read a thread that indicated a frequency response that was within +/-5 db was considered good.

Am I within acceptable parameters or would I benefit greatly from an electronic equalizer/room treatments? My room is about 7000 cubic feet. I haven't done any sort of special room treatments although I really don't have a ton of "hard" surfaces to deal with....carpeted floors and curtains work pretty well.

Any help would be appreaciated. I could list the whole spectrum I measured if that would help some more.

Thanks again for your help.

----------------

On 9/21/2004 8:04:55 PM steelie wrote:

After buying a test tones disc I mapped out the frequency response of my new sub and found that my biggest dip, -2db, occurs at 40 hz. My biggest peak is at 50hz, however, and it's at +5 db. Since this is the first time I've ever done this sort of mapping I'm not so sure I'm reading this data correctly. However, from my sparse understanding I would think this is fairly good. I believe that somewhere on this forum I read a thread that indicated a frequency response that was within +/-5 db was considered good.

Am I within acceptable parameters or would I benefit greatly from an electronic equalizer/room treatments? My room is about 7000 cubic feet. I haven't done any sort of special room treatments although I really don't have a ton of "hard" surfaces to deal with....carpeted floors and curtains work pretty well.

Any help would be appreaciated. I could list the whole spectrum I measured if that would help some more.

Thanks again for your help.

----------------

That is very good response for no eq or treatments.

Eq'ing out that bump around 50Hz will make music sound more natural but you'll probably feel like it's lacking impact for HT if you do it.

yeah, the test tones cd I bought was pretty good about explaning the compensation issues. It provided one set of test tones that were raw and required compensation, according to a chart provided with the cd. It also provided a full set of test tones that already had been compensated so you don't need to perform the math.

thanks for the input guys. I know I've been more than happy with the sub's performance but I got the test cd just as a curiosity. I can't seem to pass up an opportunity to do some more tweaking or improving things.

anyway, thanks again for the analysis.

Oh, i forgot to ask before. can peaks be tamed by eqalization or is it just valleys that can be addressed? I can't remember but I seem to have heard that electronics only work on one of the two problems.

Thanks again,