SF-2 or RF-3?

PaulE

I currently have a Sony STR-V333ES receiver driving an Audiosource Amp3 for my Front R&L music listening, and have Klipsch SB-3 monitors on stands up front, and matching SC-1 and SS-1 speakers to complete my set....When I added the external amp, the SB-3s which I already was happy with, developed a whole lot more presence and deeper stage...But,even though theyre rated down to 52 hz, I find a 10 db falloff around 65 hz, where it plateaus down to about 40 hz, where they quit. It could be my room, but I dont know. I have a Sony SAWM40 sub to take care of that, and its a pretty decent sub, but it doesnt go below 30 hz. Now I know

that's enough for most things, and between the SB3s and the sub, I've got all frequencies covered for most music needs.

But Im thinking of upgrading to get more bass out of the main speakers, and maybe a bit more definition...And, I'm stuck between the SF-2s or the

RF-3s.....Interestingly, the SF-2s, even though they have 6.5" woofers vs the 8" driver that my SB-3s have and the pair that the RF-3s have, are rated at 35 hz,

while the RF-3s are rated at 37 hz. I find this strange, given the driver sizes. But nevertheless, if I like the sound of my SB3s, but want more of the bass frequecy, it seems to me that the SF-2 might be the better solution than the RF-3, seeing that it comes from the same family as my SB-3s which I basically like. Also, I could leverage my center and surrounds with it, instead of haveing to buy new ones as I would have to if I got the RF-3s.

Do you think the RF-3s sound any 'better' inherantly, or just 'different'...Objectively, they seem not to offer anything by way of improvement if you just go by the specs, which I realize is silly. Do the RF-3s have a better stage depth, or any other improvement over the SF-2 which would make them a 'better' speaker, or is it just a matter of individual preference? I know the copper colored drivers are sexy to look at, and are priced as the step up line, but beyond that, are they a 'better' speaker than the SF-2, and if so, why?

thanks for the help.

cwm44.gif

To put it as nicely as I can,I weould use the money to buy better front speakers.RB5's would do nicely,and the 110 watt PC Sony should drive them nicely.

No,that's not my opinion,that my recommendation.The amp will not give you sound that will be worth the cost of the amp(with your present speakers).That is my opinion.Good luck to you.

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 07-28-2001 at 11:07 PM

Keath,

It should have been clear that replacing my front speakers is exactly what I'm considering..Although , if you look at the reviews on audioreview.com, you'll find the SB-3s are rated as highly as any other Klipsch speaker, within a few points...STill, I said I was considering the SF-2 or the RF-3...If I do replace, it will be with one of those towers...the RB-5 being another monitor, is only rated 4 cycles/sec of bass below mine. If you have any experience with the SF-2 vs the RF-3, I'd like to hear it.

My son uses SF2's as fronts they can't be beat for the price, but I prefer the SF1's. Both the SF1's and SF2's bass output is far better than the SB3's. I've heard them all side by side in my home.

------------------

Home Theater:

Technics SA-1040DX

Klipsch KG 3.5 Fronts

Klipsch SF1 Fronts (on B switch)

Klipsch KSW12 Sub. (2)

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch SF1 Rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Vintage Listening Room:

Technics SA-5370

Electro Voice Coronet Speakers

Pioneer Turntable model PL-150-II

Shure M70EJ Cartridge

Technics Cassette Deck model 631

looks like k dozed off; i better jump in Wink.gif

paule can't say on the synergy, but my rf-3 in the back room sound great. use 'em just for stereo music for the most part & they're very detailed/accurate, refined w/ pretty good/low/punchy bass. sound even better & w/ even better stereo imaging biwired (though can't explain why).

they sound better to me than other speakers costing twice as much though it sounds like u already dig that klipsch sound.

wouldn't pay too much attention to the specs. try to listen to them & the sf at least at the dealer. maybe the dealer would let u take a few pair home to do an a-b comparison w/ your stuff & room.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-29-2001 at 12:54 AM

The SF1's do a better job with vocals. Bass output is about the same. Probably do to the difference in crossover frequency. SF1's crossover at 2000Hz. SF2's crossover at 2800 Hz. I like the sound of both, just don't think the 2's are worth the extra dollars.

------------------

Home Theater:

Technics SA-1040DX

Klipsch KG 3.5 Fronts

Klipsch SF1 Fronts (on B switch)

Klipsch KSW12 Sub. (2)

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch SF1 Rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Vintage Listening Room:

Technics SA-5370

Electro Voice Coronet Speakers