RW12 frequency range question

om13934

I know I can get all the stats on the main part of the klipsch website, but my question requires a little more detailed answer. First, the stats say it plays to 21hz +-3db but does it have a cutoff such that it does not physically attempt to play below 21hz. or will it still attempt to reproduce the signal but not have enough displacement to reproduce a long enough wavelength. I ask this question because I have a song that produces an extremely low frequency that I cannot hear, and the woofer appears to simply "flutter" but make no noise. Is this because the frequency is below the human ear's audible range or because the woofer cannot displace enough air, making this a sub 21hz frequency? There is definately a lot of air movement out the port.

----------------

On 9/27/2004 4:58:37 PM om13934 wrote:

I know I can get all the stats on the main part of the klipsch website, but my question requires a little more detailed answer. First, the stats say it plays to 21hz +-3db but does it have a cutoff such that it does not physically attempt to play below 21hz. or will it still attempt to reproduce the signal but not have enough displacement to reproduce a long enough wavelength. I ask this question because I have a song that produces an extremely low frequency that I cannot hear, and the woofer appears to simply "flutter" but make no noise. Is this because the frequency is below the human ear's audible range or because the woofer cannot displace enough air, making this a sub 21hz frequency? There is definately a lot of air movement out the port.

----------------

The will will try to play anything down to even 0hrz I think. There is definitly not a 21hrz cut off point

Not at all you can have a woofer with a good deal less displacement and still be linear down to 16Hz.The RSW series are designed to have the extra punch and travel quite deep,they drop fast below 25Hz(35Hz for the RSW10).

Take an SVS TC Sounds woofer na duse it in a smaller RSW like box with a PR and you will lose a good few dB's down deep.Its all in the design.Some put more value on punch and others put the most on linearity and depth.

So Ear... you're saying that the sub is playing a frequency below "the ear's" audible range (no pun intended). So, does anyone know what the actual limit of human hearing is? On a side note, at what decible level can you permanently damage your hearing ability? How careful should I be when I feel the urge to crank my speakers?

I like your sig Ear.

----------------

On 9/28/2004 4:11:36 PM om13934 wrote:

So Ear... you're saying that the sub is playing a frequency below "the ear's" audible range (no pun intended). So, does anyone know what the actual limit of human hearing is? On a side note, at what decible level can you permanently damage your hearing ability? How careful should I be when I feel the urge to crank my speakers?

----------------

Around approximately 20 hz is where you stop hearing sound. After that you only "feel" the bass. As far as hearing damage, that starts at around 80 db. However, you aren't looking at any kind of rapid hearing degredation at that level.

Thanks,yes the sig was toned down.Now to all Americans and Canadians...did you know many high profile terrorists are hiding in England!Ask Blair about them,one of them the the Chechen terrorist leader scumbag who fled like a dog,now among pals.They claim to fight terror and they keep bastards like Basayev home! Two faced jokers

Now back to audio,no exactly.The RSW is quite insignificant near the lower limits of human hearing,below 25Hz its...weak.The PR will move alot and not produce serious output below 25Hz.

The RSW15 will do a wee bit more down low,its mostly capable of more output from 25hz up.