Should I set these speakers to large or small?

gedwyn@mpinet.net

Paul - Play with the settings to see what gives you the best results. I think your rears will definitely be small, probably also the center. The mains could go either way. I think HornEd (with 6 KLF-30's) just set them all to small (although it nearly killed him to do so) and he seems to be pleased with the sub interaction. I have just started to run my Chorus at small (despite the their strong bass) and they sound great. It frees them up to focus on the mids and highs and leave the bottom feeding to the sub.

YMMV-

Doug

"DougToo" certainly has that right! I have had as many as five subs going with six KLF 30's and, man, can that put you up to your ears in standing waves... Wavey.gif! Wavey.gif!! Wavey.gif!!! Wavey.gif!!!! Wavey.gif!!!!! ... and, of course, competing waves can cancel each other out.

I carried that front and rear subwoofer out to a max before I found that putting your two subwoofers in a good bass corner and setting the crossovers to be below the "directional sound" threshold (approx. 80-90Hz with all speakers set to SMALL) and all your long low waves are more likely to stand up and be noticed... and your full range speakers will likely sound better than ever... if you have subs with the "OOMPF" to meet Dolby Reference Levels.

Now I let Twin SVS Ultras cover the basses from one corner... while the KLF 30's (set to SMALL) seamlessly pick up all the directional sound my Yamaha RX-V3000 can muster in a classic 6.1 (no WDST) "audio engineer's" configuration.

Now I Hz from below 20 to over 20k... if there is such a condition as "Smiling Ears"... I think I caught it! cwm35.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

2-Channel Music Respite Room ala Cornwall under construction...

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-30-2001 at 11:03 AM