Yamaha HTR-5790 & ProMedia's 5.1

kingpawel

I am looking into buying the Yamaha HTR-5790 for my home theatre. I also aquired the satellites from the ProMedia 5.1's. I do have the center channel along with 6 satellites. I was thinking of also getting the Klipsch KSW-12 sub to go along.

Is this a good idea, should I step down to the Yamaha HTR-5760, or stay with the receiver and go with different speakers?

The reason I would like to go with these satellites is because I already have them, they sound great, and they are THX certified.

Please do share your opinions.

The reason I would like to go with these satellites is because I already have them, they sound great, and they are THX certified.

"THX certified" for computer sounds/ games.. Not home theater... And at levels in a bigger space room you know your gonna want it to play at those levels too.

Near field, a home run.. But the THX in this case is misleading.... If you think your gonna use this as a room system!

KP, I'd say stick with your game plan, you seem to like the 5790 so get what you want, i think it's a good buy plus avoid "buyers regret" (should've, could've but didn't). I recently got an RVX2400 it's my 2nd Yamaha and I'm happy with it. Try it out with your speakers and see if you like what you hear, if so then you're good. If not then you can always save up and upgrade speakers later. The KSW12 is good, I got a 10" and it's adequate I wanted a better one but it would have cost me another $300. Good luck...!

I don't know how the Yamaha models go, but I picked up a HTR-6550 and I liked it from the moment I first turned it on.

I had heard (from some here) that Yammies didn't mix well with horns, and I gotta say: WRONG! they are JUST FINE with horns and/or cones, I have both.

As far as a Yammie question, it's a no brainer, and since the HTR series are not even the highest part of the line, I would say DEFINITELY, go for it!

DM2.gif

• 1 month later...

Yes I did get the 5790 and then i decided on the Klipsch RW-10. I wanted the RSW, but somewhat low on funds, but it's def better than the KSW.

I haven't had that much time to play with it, but so far, it sounds great. I set it up with the 7.1 setup and utilized the auto setup which is amazing. So far, no cons what so ever.

I mostly use it for movies and tv, have the Comcast HD DVR package with a Panasonic HD projector that gives me a 90" HD picture on about 10 channels right now. For those who have seen HD, you know what I'm talking about...so good.

Anyway, back to the 5790, def worth it, I do recommend. I'll try to post some picks of the room some day.