500,1000, 1500, 2000, 2000+ HT units..

IndyKlipschFan

I was at Best Buy getting some CD's and noticed the amazing amount of audio receivers with all the "bells and whistles" of many separates like DTS THX Dolby Digital etc., etc.

Have the average "price points" of say the Yamaha's and Sony's and Pioneers, etc. etc., now have all the stuff the big boys do? I realize you get what you pay for BUT.. if you had

To spend on a HT receiver to have say at least 5.1-7.1 sound what would you choose or suggest?

At some point..I guess I am second guessing myself here.. It just seems silly to spend 2000- 8000 on a HT setup for the average person who has a big screen HDTV looking for a HT receiver.

In fact, nowadays the "bells and whistles" appear on mid priced receivers before they do do on high-dollar separates. If I was shopping for separates on a budget, I would just pick the cheapest AV receiver that met my needs, and use it as a pre-pro. Digital and surround technology changes so rapidly, it seems silly to spend too much money on it.

My off-the-cuff choices would be:

$500----------Panasonic SA-HE200

$1000---------Denon AVR-3805

$1500---------Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi

$2000---------Denon AVR-4805 (when it hits)

over $2000----SEPARATES

JDM, like you, for $2000 the 4805 would be my only choice. But personally speaking, I'd only go the route of seperates if I had at the very LEAST $4000. Any lower and I think a high end receiver would be better. It's like saying for $200, would you rather have an ultra low-fi receiver, or a pretty decent HTIB?

Thanks for your replies. I agree on the separates.. Big boys do get big boy sounds. But I was still amazed at maybe not the HTIB stuff 400 for a whole system. But at what point is it almost as good? For the average person anything say 500 on up starts to sound like a lot of money... Because it is!

Amen to that. Most people I know, have seen in stores, or have read on forums, say, "I'm looking for a top-of-the-line DVD player." And when you ask them what their budget cap is, it's like $300. Most normal people (as in non-ultra enthusiasts) don't seem to realize that there are products that reach well into the 4 digit range.

Nicho..

People ask us sometimes even my wife when I am in the next room... "How much you got in all of this Home Theater stuff?" We just smile and say, "You do not want to know!"

This at least gives me an out a little bit. I know my parents even in their 60's last fall asked me point blank after being wowed by the Samsung HDTV when the Colts were in High Def TV and the sound was just incredible. You literally felt like you were at the game too.

I evaded it..they asked again. I smiled. LOL

So my mom who knows nothing about Audio asked.. "Well, over 2000? My dad even laughed. He knew I wasn't gonna tell. I finally laughed and said yes just a little. LOL Sometimes it's just not worth telling some people. They simply could not appreciate all the time and energy and some luck, too, at putting together a "Dream System."

Sometimes..it is just better to NOT let em know!

----------------

On 10/12/2004 2:27:11 PM nicholtl wrote:

Amen to that. Most people I know, have seen in stores, or have read on forums, say, "I'm looking for a top-of-the-line DVD player." And when you ask them what their budget cap is, it's like $300. Most normal people (as in non-ultra enthusiasts) don't seem to realize that there are products that reach well into the 4 digit range.

----------------

A place near me sells stuff that will make anything in Ultimate Electronics, Daisy, Best Buy and the likes look like cheap plasticy junk. In fact, they have plenty of stuff that reaches into the 5 digit range ( try $60,000 for a pair of Verity Audio Lohengrins). Going there makes me feel like my electronics are total garbage 14.gif