Sony STR-DA9000ES

drick

• 3 weeks later...

drick,

I've been fighting the urge to get the STRDA9000ES for about 3 months now. Did you also consider the 5000ES? If so can you tell me why you went with the 9000ES instead of the 5000ES?

Not too many people here with heritage speakers seem to be very found of Sony AVRs.

I have a DA5ES which does HT very well but not 2-channel. I don't know how it compares to the newer models though and I don't know where it fits into the chain of Sony receivers. If HT is your major concern, the Sony ES series is great IMO. If music is what you're looking for, I suggest looking elsewhere.

----------------

On 10/30/2004 10:07:31 PM Benzima wrote:

drick,

I've been fighting the urge to get the STRDA9000ES for about 3 months now. Did you also consider the 5000ES? If so can you tell me why you went with the 9000ES instead of the 5000ES?

Not too many people here with heritage speakers seem to be very found of Sony AVRs.

----------------

Not very fond of Sont receivers and with reason,all of the Sony receivers I tested with Klipsch RF7's sounded thing and had agrainy sound.I do not care how impressive Sony's yop of the line receiver looks,it sure looks like a tank.But the fact is any competing Onkyo,Yamaha or Denon is better.

If you value sound quality over looks,and true quality get any of the other brands.Also B&K's receiver is a mile ahead of the top of the line Sony in sound and built quality.

Sony receivers would be the last on my list

----------------

On 10/30/2004 10:07:31 PM Benzima wrote:

drick,

----------------

i actually only looked at the yamaha rx-v9, and the soon to be released Denon 5805.

i went with the sony because of it's power, the muliple DVI ports, those were critical concerns for me. after getting it installed over the weekend, i like it so far. it does seem to be a bit underpowered to push my speakers though as some have commented on. i only have 5 of the 7 speakers hooked up, and am still waiting for my sub as well, so i'm only 50% of the way set up.

to be continued...

----------------

On 10/31/2004 10:47:28 AM TheEAR wrote:

Not very fond of Sont receivers and with reason,all of the Sony receivers I tested with Klipsch RF7's sounded thing and had agrainy sound.I do not care how impressive Sony's yop of the line receiver looks,it sure looks like a tank.But the fact is any competing Onkyo,Yamaha or Denon is better.

If you value sound quality over looks,and true quality get any of the other brands.Also B&K's receiver is a mile ahead of the top of the line Sony in sound and built quality.

----------------

Ear,

which Yamaha and Denon would you suggest that would have the same features as the Sony?

----------------

On 10/31/2004 6:09:09 PM SteelerFan wrote:

I've always heard also that Sony is not a good match with Klipsch. I don't know how true that still is now with the new ES digital receivers.

I agree with The EAR, the B&K receiver really has no rival with the possible exception of the Sunfire Ultimate.

----------------

which B&K would you suggest, what amp to go with it, and what other components would i need to build something that has the same capabililties as the Sony?

----------------

On 11/1/2004 5:53:23 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Either the AVR507 for 7.1 or the 505 for 5.1. You won't really need any outboard amp with them.

----------------

this may be a dumb question, but the sony has 15 or 50 (not sure how to interpret the specs) watts per channel. if i got a receiver that has less power, how does that help me push the speakers better? my assumption is that you are saying that the b&k has a better amp?

oh yeah, i also need a recommendation on how to wire in the 2 DVI ports i have. i'm using the sony as my main av hub, and am routing everything into it.

----------------

On 11/1/2004 1:34:25 AM drick wrote:

----------------

On 10/31/2004 10:47:28 AM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

Ear,

which Yamaha and Denon would you suggest that would have the same features as the Sony?

----------------

Sorry for the late answer

I would seriously look at the following..

These are my fave receivers...

Sunfire Ultimate reciver,with this unit you will hear just how far a great receiver can go.Its an all star unit with the BEST amplifier secion found in ANY receiver.Huge power and finesse some come close to(B&K and the BIG Yamaha).here Ultimate is real,its the ultimate receiver for sound quality.

B&K's receiver is another superb piece.Great for music as well as HT use.Its another sure hit less expensive and less powerful than the Ultimate.

Yamaha's top of the line RX-Z9 has the most features of the elite here,its sound quality is great.The amp section,the most serious of any yamaha receiver to date,matching Denon's 580X series! Another sure hit

Dare to compare these with the big Sony,listen and the choice should be clear.Sony is not in these league