RS7s suggestions

Skidmarks

I am currently reconstructing the HT in the house, and I keep running into a problem with the RS7s. I need to mount them to the cieling, angled down a bit. I have been searching for a mount that will accomadate this process, the only thing I have found is a product by omnimount.

Im looking for more options , I have also considered homemade, but am leaning more away from this.

I welcome any Opinions and ideas .

Thanks

check out partsexpress.com

The link I provided is a bunch of wall mounts, but perhaps you can find a way to rig one of them to work on the cieling (or search around the site).

I know omni mount is rather expensive but it's the only sure way to go. If you're still looking for something different, you may want to swing by your local hardware store and see what kind of things might work in your situation.

As far as something homemade, it wouldn't be that hard to construct some sort of shelf that would suspend from the cieling that the speaker could slip inside of. I'm picturing a triangle shaped side with a shelf mounted on the same plane as the hypotenuse with a little lip on the front to keep the speaker from sliding down (and perhaps another lip above the speaker as well that could rotate down or something). I guess it depends on the decor in your room whether or not it'd look right, or wat kind of finish you'd have to do. The entire shelf could be mounted to the studs in your ceiling via an angle bracket on the inside.

Make one......

Get some pipe....a pipe anchore flange...that has bolt holes....kinda like those used on handrails....

screw flange to ceiling....then thread pipe into it...then get put elbow on bottom of pipe....then get another flange on end of elbow....and attach to speaker...

Sand.....paint black...and done!....kinda cheap...sturdy if ya use 1" pipe....

----------------

On 10/14/2004 9:42:57 AM ygmn wrote:

Make one......

Get some pipe....a pipe anchore flange...that has bolt holes....kinda like those used on handrails....

screw flange to ceiling....then thread pipe into it...then get put elbow on bottom of pipe....then get another flange on end of elbow....and attach to speaker...

Sand.....paint black...and done!....kinda cheap...sturdy if ya use 1" pipe....

----------------

We hang TVs at work like that all the time...very professional look. Btw, make sure you sand and paint before you piece it together and mount it 2.gif It was just funny how you go step by step and then mention that bit at the end.

Also, depending on the length of pipe you need, Home Depot will cut and thread the longer sections of pipe to the exact measurements you want. Be sure to compensate for the pipe's inability to completely thread into the holes (unless you get hardcore insane with some pipe wrenches).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got no pics (don't think work would want me posting them anyway). I could sketch some drawings if you want. I know the parts can be kind of hard to find in Home Depot and knowing what they look like would help a ton.

If you know of any "Steve and Barry's" stores or any of the "Federated" stores (ie, Macy's and all those stores), then you should see some of the work my company does. In fact, just about any store that hangs TVs from the cieling uses this stuff. So if you know of a store like that in the area, then just swing by and check it out (If there's a drop cieling, accidentaly throw a shirt or something to knock the panel out) 2.gif

Btw, I meant to say "clean with a paint thinner and then paint", not "sand and paint." When metal is cut and threaded, the machine that's used gets oil all over the place and even if you don't see it, will prevent paint from adhering to the metal. There really should be no need to sand unless your pipe sucks (which happens on occasion). Also, be sure to use as little spray paint as possible and use lots of small coats. Avoid the temptation to spray it till it looks white the first time. What happens is it gets too thick and then gets a rough surface and the color doesn't look very solid. (it's not as big of a deal if you're using black versus white paint). Also, try not to get too much paint on the threads unless you've got a pipe wrench handy...you can always spray some touch up paint once you've got it pieced together.

"It's territorial with a soundboard...like if you're mixing and some dude you know that sucks at it comes up and just starts pushing buttons and twisting nobs...you're like "get off my board before i smack you!"

LOL, I agree,,,hahahahahahhaa

But havn't you WANTED to sometimes, when it sounds like Sh!t???

I have, but havn't. One time at Verizon music center here in Indy We sat right behind the Mixing board area. I noticed the power light on the reverb unit was not lit and the soundman was cussing at it. I just mentioned.. "Maybe it needs to be plugged in?" He turned around about ready to tell me off till he noticed the same thing. He said thanks, man! We got free drinks and a CD of the band for saving his life..LOL.

When you the opening act, sometimes you get "B" grade people working for you.

Do you know which omnimount brackets you went with , as in model #?

I have checked them all out on line , but cant seem to find a store with them in stock. The few models I have seen in person are for smaller speakers and there isnt enough clearance from cieling to speaker to properly mount the 7s?

----------------

On 10/30/2004 9:14:01 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

LOL, I agree,,,hahahahahahhaa

But havn't you WANTED to sometimes, when it sounds like Sh!t???

----------------

You have no idea...

I haven't kept track of how many times, but there have been concerts where I've actually walked back into the booth and either turned down the gain or the aux send for the channel that's feeding back. I'll usually walk behind the "booth" (when is it ever a booth anymore, lol) and get a feel for how things are laid out if I haven't already (usually I like to show up early and check everything out). In the meantime there's feedback or a ringing mic that's totally ruining everything. And then I make my move and don't say anything to the sound guy...I just walk in, fix the problem and walk out before the mixer can respond. The problem gets fixed and I can go back to enjoying the music and the mixer doesn't know what to think. Sometimes I'll get them coming up to me and thanking me or sometimes I'll get words of "advice" (along the lines of don't do that again if you value your life, lol).

Now in defense of the soundguys; they usually don't even get enough time to set up and dial things in. Then while on the fly, they're trying to keep pace with all the effects and cues and blah blah blah and there is a point where any sound guy gets too flustered to be at all productive. If you've ever been there, then you know what I mean...things are going just too fast and you're one step behind everything and that equates to a bad mix real fast...though, that's also what makes it so exciting (well when it turns out good that is) 2.gif

Anyways that was a great story. I can't think of anything more embarrasing than forgetting to plug in the power, rofl. Btw, do you mix too?