Since we're talking about Klipsch... (RW-12 Q's)

drdiaboloco

...what about the RW-12?

Somehow this unit escaped my notice, and I guess I can add it to my list of possible suspects. Realistically, the retail price of this unit is my absolute top end $$$-wise, so any fantasies of PB2's must be discarded.

Anyhoo...

I've searched all the threads that include this sub, and it doesn't sound like it's gotten raves. Is it because the expectations were/are too high, or that the similarly priced subs from them thar internet-only companies simply beat it? The RW-12 seems to get the most column-inches here for being better than the KSW-12 (not a huge achievement, IMHO), cheaper than the RSW-12 (thank God), and is generally received with a lukewarm response.

I am not a bass hog and have gotten on just fine without a sub of any kind ("serious sub" or otherwise) for over a year now. My main speakers can hit around 30-35hz at -3dB, and are in fact capable of giving my couch a shiver when playing LF music and movies, so maybe I don't NEED a "floor shaker". And frankly, I can't afford a grand for a sub, not least because I find myself actually spending less and less time watching TV and/or sitting in my LR listening to music... My darn job keeps me away from home too much.

I guess I should mention that I was unimpressed by the DefTech ProSub-200TL in my listening room... Much to the annoyance of my local dealer, I might add, when I wandered back to the store sub-in-hand and got my refund. This unit, for those that don't know, is roughly equivalent in size (but not weight, the RW-12 is 15lbs heavier), power and price to an RW-12 (though I paid $450 for it), and the manufacturer's lies, errrr, specs quote a freq response of 3hz lower than the RW-12. It sounded fine, I guess, but I didn't feel it punch me in the gut in the manner that I'd hoped for and expected for a front-firing sub aimed right at my seating position. :)

This is all a roundabout way of asking if anyone has any raves about the RW-12, and if so, how much off retail should I try to wrench out of my local dealers (there are two now!) before I walk? My defection to another brand of speaker notwithstanding, I still like Klipsch a lot and wonder if anyone has any real-world experience with this sub and can provide feedback.

Thankee!