RF-15's or wharfedale diamond 8.4

amonteiro

A friend of mine is trying to decide between getting either the RF-15's or the wharfedale diamond 8.4 speakers. The room he is using isn't too big about 13x15 and he has a Denon 1803 receiver. I've been trying to convince him to go with the rf-15's, but we are going to go listen to both of them this weekend.

I do have a couple of concerns though, I have read that Denons make klipsch speakers sound harsh, what experiences have you guys had with that?

Although I have heard most of the klipsch reference line, I have not heard the RF-15's how different are they from the RF-3/35's?

Are there any other speakers we should be looking at in the under 400 range?

Denon's do not make Klipsch speakers harsh. A more general way of putting it, is that the warmer sound of Denon blends very well with the more forward nature of Klipsch.

The RF15's are a decent speaker, but nowhere in the same league as the RF35's.

Under $400, you could also look at RB25's, the bookshelves.

I think the RF-15 is a fine speaker. I give it my vote over the RB-25 for fullness and depth.

As nic points out, they're not near the rf35's, however, i was surprised by them when i auditioned them -- they're no lackies -- don't let the small stature fool you. I think you will be impressed by them when you get a chance to listen.

I own the rf 15s and an rc 25 center which I'm running off of a Denon AVR-3300 (older model, but it still sounds sweet and I'll probably never sell it). I've owned MANY speakers, some costing twice as much the rf-15s and were just small 2 way monitors. Out of all the brands I've owned, Klipsch are hands down THE best for home theater. I used to have a lot more time to listen to music and while the Klipschs have their good qualities, I wouldn't say they are as accurate or musical as some of the other brands / designs I've owned in the past or still own. Because I rarely have time to listen to music the Klipschs are perfect for the many occasions I watch movies. I would prioritize my purchase like this if I were your friend. Also, I purchased these as opposed to book shelf speakers due to pure physics. Small speakers generally can't move as much air as bigger ones. (Note: I haven't listened to the rf-35s as they weren't in the price range I was looking for at the time. The rf-25s were artificially boomy in the midrange making males voices have an unnatural chestiness that I couldn't listen past, but I can see how some may like this "fuller" more mellow sound). Granted there are a few small speakers (rb-35s) that can hang with floor standers, but by the time you add in the price of some GOOD speaker stands you're back in the price range of floor standers, plus I'm not quite sold on using an 8 inch driver for both midrange and bass duties. If you notice, most state of the art speaker designs, don't use anything larger than a 6.5 inch driver for the midrange due to their better mechanical abilities in that range of sound. Anyway, before I go off on too big of a tangent, I'm not trying to sway your friend to buy the Klipschs over the Wharfedales as I know Wharfedale makes a very competitive product also. It just comes down to what you're using them mostly for. The Wharfedales will probably be better all around speakers, but I doubt they'll give you the excitement and dynamic abilities of the Klipschs. To each his own.

I just picked up a pair of rf-15's matched with a rc-25 center. I thought my old kg4's were good. These are great! Im running it through an onkyo sr502. entry levle receiver, but they sound good. Of course, stay with klipsch. I have to figure out a sub to go with my system now1.gif

----------------

On 10/28/2004 9:45:03 AM amonteiro wrote:

Thank you everyone for your help, he found a pair of RF3II's for cheap from a dealer trying to clear his stock. So he got those.

----------------

He will be very happy with the RF-3II. In terms of receivers being

harsh, bright, etc. with Klipsch, I for one am getting tired of these

rumors being spread and others continuing the story. For every one

comment on Denon/Klipsch beign harsh and Yamaha/Klipsch being bright

etc, I can find 10 others that saying the exact oppsosite. I for

one have listen to Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, and Intergra with Klipsch

and they ALL sound great. Sorry to rant but felt I needed to finally

say this. I will put my soap box away now.