Bare wire or Bananna Plugs

vjkharat

I am currently making bare-wire connections from the speakers to the receiver. It sounds great but wanted to know opinions regarding pros/cons of each.

I am using cut to length Monster Cable Z1-250 bare for Bi-wiring my Mains and center with normal bare wiring for my rears.

Also the RF-* have a rubber cap over where the bananna plugs go, how do I remove these plugs? I tried but did not want to force the connections.

My HT configuration:

Marantz SR 8000 A/V Receiver

Klipsch RF3 Fronts

Klipsch RC3 Center

Klipsch RS3 Rears

Klipsch KSW15 Sub

Sony KV27FS12 WEGA TV

Onkyo DVC 601 DVD Player

Sony N80 vcr++ Gold VCR

Monster Cable Z1-250 bare Bi-wired Mains and center with normal bare wiring rears.

Monster M351 for Subwoofer <2.5 m long>

Monster Z300 Reference S-video cable

Monster ILS200 Digital Optical cable

Thanks!

This message has been edited by vjkharat on 08-01-2001 at 09:25 PM

A popular thinking is that the more connections there are, the greater the chance for interfearancecwm19.gif or introduced noise. Therefor bare wire should be the best/quietest route...I use banana's & don't have a problem.

The rubber plugs in my KSF 8.5's just popped right out with the help of a small screwdriver.

un-screw them all the way, and the plastic will either fall out or you can just take it out.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

In short. It seems like you have a good connection.

Banana plugs are probably not going to improve it. With them, you've typically got a screw down connection to the banana male, and another connection of the banana to the, errr, female banana. (No, no, don't be a wise guy. The United Fruit Company will object.)

Seriously, I think there is some concensus above. Banana plug are great if you're switching things around. If you are not switching things, and you have a good screw on connection, there might be little justification to mess with it.

Gil