Klipsch Konfusion

Zargathos

I am looking to pick up a used pair of Klipsch speakers (preferably KG-4.2's or thereabouts) either locally, audiogon, or ebay. I have been pricing a number of different models recently. However, this is where I am confused, because I am at a loss at identifying the older model/series designations.

I am familiar with the Heritage series (what Klipsch owner isn't?), and the current Synergy and Reference series. Still, I need info on identifying some of the older speakers. For example, I see a pair of KSF-10.5 speakers for auction--how does this model stack up in comparison with the current models, and what would be a fair price? Same question goes for another model I was looking at recently: KG-4.2, and KG-3.5. How do I compare these older speakers to the newer models (both price and quality level) I don't want to overbid if I don't have to. It would suck to overpay for a pair of KG-4.2, when for a couple bucks more, I could have gotten a decent pair of used Heresys?

I am currently a proud owner of a Klipsch Reference series home theater setup (see sig/profile). So now, I am looking for an older pair of floor standing speakers for my son to use with my older 80's amp I used before I did the Home Theater upgrade a couple years back.

What can be had around/preferably under $300? (I've been trying to find a pair of Heresy's in that range, but no luck so far) I'm been trying to find something in the local area so I can save the shipping costs. Any other board members in my general area that could point me to a good, used pair of Klipsch KG-4.2s? 9.gif

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this for me.

Zargathos,

Welcome to the MadHouse! I would suggest Ebay for price comparisons. Just Type in Klipsch , (subcatagory Floor Standing), find the model your looking for, and then on the left side-Should be completed auctions............just play around with it. Good Luck.

If your getting speakers for your Son, why not try to get some Heresys? They go on Ebay for Around 300- 400.00, and some times less.............

http://search-completed.ebay.com/Klipsch-KG-4-2_W0QQa14Z31632QQa6Z31593QQalistZa6Q2ca14Q2ca31572Q2ca10244Q2ca31573Q2ca3801QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQgcsZ1578QQpf_queryZKlipschQ20Q20KGQ204Q2e2QQpfidZ1963QQsacategoryZQ2d100QQsatitleZKlipschQ20Q20KGQ204Q2e2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZsoQQsoitemstatusZ2QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1QQsotrZ2

Huh. I never noticed the 'Completed Listings' search option. Thanks for the info!

Oh, if I can find a pair of Heresy's under $300 in good condition, I'm all over them. But, just in case I have to resort to plan "B", does anyone know how much can I expect to pay for a pair of KG-3.5? KG-4.2?

Guest Anonymous

Zargathos..would you be interested in a pair of KG4 ..in black...half of the price of a used Heresy email me and i will give you more info...Tony

Hallwalker, I sent you an email.

Are they like these?

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=128&section=specs

I guess I need a lot of brushing up on all the different Klipsch models....is there a easy product guide available to compare them all? The Klipsch website is helpful to a point, but they don't have them sorted by year of production, and it's most useful when you already know a series or model to look for. There's so many different series and models.... KLF to KG to KF to KSF....and plus all the numbers... 3 to 3.2 to 4 to 4.2 to 5 to 5.5

I'm confused. But in a good way. 1.gif

Greetings,

I've got a pair of KG-4's which I purchased in near mint condition at Saturday Audio Exchange here in Chicago for $329. For the money I think they're hard to beat (theoretical bass extension to 39Hz, sensitivity at 94dB, small footprint). Clean, clear highs; nice, mellow-yet-detailed midrange; extended bass.

You shouldn't get the "slam" of a Heresy (which I believe has at least 3dB greater sensitivity than the KG-4), but the bass extends much deeper. IMHO, not a bad trade-off for the money.

Hope this helps...

Take care,

Scott

BTW -- cool pic of Baron von Raschke! "Dat iss all da people need to know!" 2.gif

Thanks for recognizing my avatar. 9.gif

Anyway, I think I may have a pair of KG 4.2's in the works. I contacted a seller on Ebay who is in my local area about a pair of KSF 10.5 he had for sale, then decided against them(way too big for my son's bedroom). He mentioned he'd put up a pair of 4.2's for sale in the next week.

What should I pay for a good used pair of KG-4.2? I noticed the ebay prices fluctuate quite a bit based on condition, user feedback rating, etc. I see one pair sold for $152.50, while another sold for $275.00. There were only minor cosmetic differences between the two, but I'm surprised of that big of a difference in selling price.

I guess it pays to be in the right place, at the right time. Pun fully intended. 1.gif

I'm a big fan of KG 3.5's. Pound for pound it's hard to find a better deal and since it's for your son, these babies love rock and roll, and both will fit into teh backseat of a car to haul off to college. They go for about $200, cost about $8000-$900 new, are very detailed with great bass and lvoe smaller rooms. I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these for my nephew's graduation. (I won't ever part with my own pair).

I would try to negotiate with that local seller for direct purchase of the 4.2's. They're good speakers for $200 or less. Plus you can save him the hassles of listing, listing fees, packing and shipping, paypal fees. etc...

I would rather myself a quick sure sale than an auction that may go $140 or may go $240. And packing and shipping large speakers is a pain.

They'll never reach that in an auction. His loss. My suggestion is try some of your local pawnshops. Tell them what you're looking for as not everything ready for sale is on the floor. Their prices are negotiable, especially if you have cash. I purchased my Quartets for $200, Kg 4's $200, kg 3.2's $120, Kg 2.5's $75 at various pawn shops. The 3.2's and kg4's would be good bargains for a childs/teens system. Heck I had Panasonic thrusters in my bedroom as a teenager.

Yeah, the asking price on those used 4.2's is ridiculous, when $350 or so can get a servicable pair of Heresys. I'll try searching the local area pawn shops this weekend.

In the meantime, I'm keeping my eyes on an auction on a pair KG-3.2 that looks like it might sell in that 125-200 dollar price range (or less, not including shipping).

Of course, by now with all the spec comparison, I think I'm starting to get the non reference/Heritage product lines figured out. Is there a one or two page listing available I can refer to that lists the different floor models by series in order from lowest to highest in features/quality/size/MSRP?

All I can think of would be going to the Klipsch home page then click product search. Searck by keyword kg. You'll get 2 pages of all kg models. You can click on each model ( and maybe print) then go back and click on another. The 3.2s are great little speakers. There's a pair in Biloxi , MS at a pawn shop with $159 starting price.

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of clicking on the main Klipsch website...but I was hoping there was a one page ready-reference sheet I could go to. Ah well, it would take the fun out of it anyway. 1.gif

I'm bidding on a nice pair of KG 3.2's on ebay at the moment. I'd still prefer to get my hands on a pair of 4.2's but haven't seen many for sale on line as of late. I guess I need to crawl around the local pawn shops here in the next day or so if that auction doesn't pan out.

I called a couple of pawn shops today, and no Klipsch in stock. They explained that they normally sell their Klipsch speakers the same day they receive them. Big surprise, huh?

Well, I initially bid on a pair of 3.2's, on ebay, but then I see other auctions coming up on some 3.5's that look even better. So, I'm holding out. Do I wait for an available pair of KG-4.2 or settle for some KG-3.2 or KG-3.5?

If you were given a choice between a pair of KG-3.2 or a pair of KG-3.5 (assuming both are in equal condition), which would you choose and why? Is the passive radiator of the 3.2 better than the Bass Reflex port design of the 3.5?

Ah, the choices. Fortunately when I was buying my Reference 3's, the decision was much, much easier. 1.gif