Whole new system with old Heresy

bigmrs

I knew it would be controversial, but that's my experience.

I would think that the environment has the most to do with the HT audio experience, that is, the room. Local reflectivity and refractive quotients, speaker separation and timing issues, seating location and configuration, etc.

Let alone source material - how do any of you REALLY know exactly how it is supposed to sound? Answer: nobody does. There is no such thing as a legitimate reference theatre or soundtrack for the home.

But having a smallish room, I have not found any problems.

We are all settling for what "sounds good" to us.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 10/26/2004 2:32:25 PM D-MAN wrote:

I knew it would be controversial, but that's my experience.

I would think that the environment has the most to do with the HT audio experience, that is, the room. Local reflectivity and refractive quotients, speaker separation and timing issues, seating location and configuration, etc.

Let alone source material - how do any of you REALLY know exactly how it is supposed to sound? Answer: nobody does. There is no such thing as a legitimate reference theatre or soundtrack for the home.

But having a smallish room, I have not found any problems.

We are all settling for what "sounds good" to us.

DM
2.gif

----------------

There's nothing controversial about the statement at all. It's just wrong.

Local reflectivity and refractive quotients, speaker separation and timing issues, seating location and configuration, and so on mean a lot less than the tonal characteristics of the speakers. With a matched set, you have a chance of getting tonal matches all around. With a mismatched set, forget it. You've overthought a very simple thing and wrapped it in so many layers of theory that your conclusion bears no relationship to the premise.

As for the source material, what is it SUPPOSED to sound like is the SAME in the front, center, and rear. The HT goal isn't the same as it is for the audiophile wonks who wax rhapsodic about the stroke of a bow across a violin string or argue endlessly about the difference between glisten and shimmer. We're looking for a seamless and immersive environment. The argument that timbre match doesn't matter because there is no reference is specious at best.

If you like your system, fine. However, until you've actually HEARD a matched system, feel free to refrain from knocking it and intimating that the idea is stupid and its proponents suckers for the slick sales folks.

O

BTW, I already HAVE a matched set of 5 KEF speakers (4's, 2's and center) but replacing the 4's with corner horns only made it BETTER. So I have heard timbre-matched multi-channel setup, I believe. I own one, but it's now upgraded to mismatched status.

Do I think that I have to match the front horns all the way around - no, I don't.

Again, speaking from first hand experience, if I had it to do over again, I would mix away.

DM

You're right, of course. People go to great lengths to build custom centers for their Heritage systems, find Academies for their Choruses, build Belles from scratch, turn Klipschorns on their sides, recess Heresies into ceilings, and hang La Scalas from walls because timbre is completely unimportant.

You know, maybe the guys with matched Klipsch systems are on to something you've either missed or just don't appreciate.

----------------

On 10/26/2004 5:46:16 PM D-MAN wrote:

BTW, I already HAVE a matched set of 5 KEF speakers (4's, 2's and center) but replacing the 4's with corner horns only made it BETTER. So I have heard timbre-matched multi-channel setup, I believe. I own one, but it's now upgraded to mismatched status.

Do I think that I have to match the front horns all the way around - no, I don't.

Again, speaking from first hand experience, if I had it to do over again, I would mix away.

DM

----------------

Now do it right and match the Klipsch, your argument just adds credence to the postulation of Klipsch sounding better than KEF as evidenced by your noticed improvement. Don't get me wrong KEF makes an excellent product I simply prefer the Klipsch sound. I am curious to know how would you have touted the sound if say you had Infinities or a lesser speaker mixed with your KEF's. I am sure you would have been inclined to upgrade to a match. If you are happy with your sound that is all that matters, but you dismiss a great many people with experience as well. I too was mixed and would not do it again, speaking from first hand experience of course.