Some third party advice needed for Receiver/Processor Please

myriadcorp

Ok so far my basement system contains the following.

Samsung 5663w DLP

Marantz mm9000 Amp

SVS PB12plus/2

Klipsch RF35 Left Right

Klipsch RC7 Center

Klipsch RS7 surrounds

I cant decide on what to do for the processor. I am leaning to the B&K Reference 50 right now. Here are my 3 choices I am considering.

The B&K, Marantz SR8500, & Onkyo 901. Whatever I get will be used in a 5.1 setup with my mm9000 amp as the power supply. If anyone has advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks

The B&K could be a good choice if you want to stay in 5.1. It is an older design unit which is due for replacement in the near future (perhaps January). If you have any aspirations to move towards 7.1 then I would either wait, or look elsewhere. From personal experience I can tell you that Dolby PLIIx is an absolute must if you go 7.1 and the Ref50 lacks PLIIx. Perhaps there will be an upgrade program for the Ref50 in the future, but B&K's upgrades tend to be pricy.

I'm going to offer another suggestion. Take a look at the Rotel RSP1068. You should be able to buy one new for less than a Ref 50. I find that the Rotels make a superb match with the Klipsch References, even better, in my humble opinion, than anything you have mentioned. You will also find that the bass management choices in the 1068 will give you better flexability to handle the slightly mismatch speaker array you have. Rotel gear also has awesome resale values. I recently sold off my RSP1066, the discontinued predecessor to the 1068. I was able to sell it for 75% of my original purchase price. Used B&K Ref 50s are selling at about 60% of their original price.

Jerry Rappaport

How does the Rotel 1068 remote stack up to the Universal of the B&K? I hear the B&K remote is a great remote. Yes I plan on staying 5.1 because I dont have the space to do anything larger. I was considering that rotel too but it dropped off the list because I never had much info on it.

b&k's remote will do anything you tell it to do, that is if you can program it to do it. it is an amayzing remote, rotels are very simple but limited in thier applications, as far as machines the rotels are having problems in manufacturing, the b&k's are just well built, 1 at a time, unlike rotels overseas assembly lines, rotel has gone the route of sony or panasonic, thier older machines were great. nowadays?

I'd vote B&K if you are able to wait for the new version of the REF50. (REF70?) It's supposed to be quite a signifigant upgrade. Or you could buy the REF50 now and have B&K upgrade it later but like Jerry said, it won't be cheap. You should be able to get a very good deal on a new one now that people are anticipating the newer version.

Maybe if you need something right away you could buy something used off of audiogon to tide you over and then resell it later.

If not look at the Rotel, I've heard alot of nice things about it.