what about this pre?

Timmikid

The Emotive Audio Erato is a very nice preamp. The 27 tube is very clean and detailed and Fred Voltz uses excellent quality parts in all his equipment. The Erato has fairly high gain as it was specifically built to match SET amps and is one of the quietest pres I've come across. Most audio manufacturers don't test their equipment on high efficiency speakers so they can't hear just how noisy the amps and preamp really are. Equipment that seems dead quiet on 88-92dB speakers can really sound nasty through 104-110dB speakers!

I've had 3 Eratos (still have 2) and although I've tried several other preamps, I keep returning to the Erato. BTW, Fred no longer offers the Erato as a production piece but will most likely build you one if you ask nicely. He said couldn't source enough NOS 27 tubes to meet demand but I've found plenty on the net and at hamfests. You will occasionally find an Erato pop up on Audiogon (@$1500) but they usually go fast. New, they listed for $4000 and that put them in Fred's bargain basement which may be another reason he stopped building them.

Hope this helped. Have fun -Bryan

Thanks Bryan, interesting. Do you think this amp will also be a nice match with pp mono amps? How would you describe (or anyone else offcourse) the difference in character compared to other wellknown pre amps? For instance the blueberry/peach, which is as I've heard a great pre (especially for the money), or if you haven't heard that one, maybe guess, looking at the different set-up.

I understand it is only a line-stage, are there special phonostages that match with this amp?

Oh, why do you have two?6.gif

One more thing, if I find an American version, is it possible to make it compatible to 220V?

I know many questions, I could also ask Fred, but maybe you (as I said: or anyone else)know some answers. Any other relevant input on this beauty is appreciated.(I think I fell in love.3.gif sighhhh.....)

1.gif Tim.

Timmikid,

I'd recommend for you to check out a BlueBerry (if you desire phonostage) at www.juicymusic.com.

The Peach is a linestage, which I own, and have heard the Blueberry, too. They are bang for the buck a huge winner IMO. I believe there is a 220v option also.

Yes indeed, I do think the blueberry is outstanding. Yet I may be able to buy the errata for less than $1500.- here in Holland. The Blueberry will be more than $500.- extra with shipping and all that, maybe even more. In other words, I don't know what to do yet. I haven't even made up my mind which element I'll be using with the pre, so I can't even tell Mark which cream option I will desire.

So while I'm taking my time... I can have flings with other pre's can't I3.gif2.gif .

Even though I will not decide in the very near future, it is nice to get some info on a pretty pre I had never heard of before.1.gif

Thanks, Tim.