Sub Crossover Freq with LaScalas

mark1101

For those using subs with LaScalas, what crossover frequency are you using and why?

I am using 100Hz. I could definitely get by setting a little lower (say 60 - 80 Hz. range), but I get a nice full sound up at 100. 120 was too high and heavily unbalanced and sloppy. I am using an EQ to further adjust and I am only using the sub amps on about 1 3/4, not even on 2. Even though barely on, they make a huge difference.

I started with 80 Hz because Dr Hsu recommended that. I also tried 100 Hz but when I disconnected the main speakers I could start to hear some unwanted content at that frequency. I place the sub behind the couch, so it's desirable to not have sounds at high enough frequency that I can detect that.

It sounds very similar at 60 Hz than at 80 Hz, but I stayed with 80 Hz to reinforce the bass. I think that seeing the frequency response graphs posted a few days ago also confirms my choice of 80 Hz.

Peter

Subs are a necessity with La Scalas. I love mine, but they do need some help on the bottom end. For this reason placement can be an issue. Of course much will depend on your specific sub, but generally (IMHO) I think the further the sub is from your La Scalas, the lower the setting should be set. If your sub is set at 100HZ, and not right next to the La Scalas, it can tend to be directional. For this reason I prefer using two subs. Anyway, this and your subs ability to operate without distortion will dictate your settings. BTW, mine are set at 100HZ.

Thanks for the info.

I have each sub located right next to each LaScala with the LaScalas on the outside of each sub. TV and equipment rack in the center. The LaScalas are in the corners and the subs along the front wall just inside each LaScala.

The funny thing is that I can only run the subs on 1 3/4 - 2 on the volume control. They would blow the doors off the house if I went any higher. That's why I didn't invest in the huge dollar subs. The things are barely on and they still make a huge difference. I would say they were one of the smartest investments I ever made when paired with LaScalas.9.gif