help with setup

djk952

Cutting and pasting that link results in an error, why not just list the model numbers of the speakers you have instead of a link to it?

So far your system is a sonic mismatch, Synergy center, and Reference in-wall surrounds. Whatever it is that you did buy in 1992 probably has a different sonic signature than your other speakers. So you have three different types of speakers with three different sonic signatures. The sub really doesn't matter it is decent enough. You should at least get a center to match what you are using for mains whatever they may be. The inwalls are obviously there to stay and the rear are not quite a critical as the front three. '92 would mean that you have something from the KG series I would think.

Will it sound bad - no! But will it be balanced allow movie pans from side to side and front to back be seamless - no. It will be fine for music though.

Welcome to the forum!

I am sorry!! Bad info.

My surrounds are actually khw5 not rcw.

The fronts in question are kg 4.2

Also, should I set my speakers to large or small, and what should the subs crossover be?

Right now, I have all set to small with the crossover at 80.

I do watch a lot of movies and hd with this system.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion!

Howdy,

If you are concerned with voice matching your main speakers to the center channel then Klipsch seems to recommend the KG 2.2V or the KG 1.2V. I have seen these on Ebay from time to time, but not as frequently as the KV1,2,3 center channels. I know that the KV centers (not the KV4, it was timbre matched the epic series, CF1,2,3,4) were matches for the KG series but I'm not entirely certain that all of the KV's will fit (Klipsch says the KV3 does).

As for the settings of large or small, I presume you are referring to the settings on your receiver or preamp. In this regards you should probably set your mains to large since the KG 4.2's are full range floor standing speakers. If you have bookshelf speakers that do not cover the "full range" then you should set the speakers to small.

As for the sub, the crossover should be set so as to make the transition from the sub to the speakers as seamless as possible. I read somewhere where they recommended using a moving baseline or a sequence with a cello to determine where the optimal setting resides - essentially experiment with the frequency settings until you can no longer tell when the sub starts and stops.

Is it a huge problem not to have sonically matched speakers? The most important are the front three, you can get away with the rears different, but to create the most seamless soundstage they should all be voiced matched. Many will recommend having the front three all the same speaker (for most this isn't possible given space constraints). Actually I haven't been able to acquire a KV4 center channel to match my Epic CF1's so I've given up and purchased the KLF C7 - compromise yes, but for now it will do.

Hope this helps