Can you hook up two 400's?

quackman

I have not tried double sats at each location but I have always believed that one sound source per location is enough to create sound. There are a few people on the BB who have double setup so we will see.

Question: How often do you see people with HTS that have more than one set of drivers at each location? My brother has a kick@$$ system in a room smaller than my dorm and it sounds great

Even my ACS295 speaker that I currently have make a good sound arena. I can hear footsteps walk across from left to right in Thriller and it sounds great enough The first time I listened to Black Or White on my ACS295 and the kids father banged on the door, I though it was someone at my door. It was cool..

Anyhow.. I prefer to get one set of 4.1 and save $300 to use on future upgrades to my new system

It all rolls down to what you feel like doing. I'm not telling you one way or another I am just giving my opinion on what I think.

Good luck and enjoy.

I'm with Paragon. It's better not to have too many speakers sharing the upper frequencies, because then the image degrades. In other words, your ability to localize sounds to their respective source is diminished with more than five speakers.

Low frequency is a somewhat different matter.

Having multiple subs has the (statistical, anyway) potential of minimizing the effects of standing waves, and is generally considered a good thing; especially if the two are identical.

My recommendation would be to set up a 5.2 system with two v.2-400's. At some point, someone will do a good sound card that outputs more than five channels (like Surround EX or DTS ES, etc.) and you'll already have the speakers to use.

yeah, but what subs would you guys use? would you use the 2 400's or one 400 and a bigger one. if a bigger one, then which one? thats what i want to know! (p.s. how to hook it up to an AE, i asked gluegun he said he's not really the AE expert)

rock on with your bad selves!

ahh two subs, another believer...

I always recommend identical subs. Not saying you can't do a decent job with two different subs, but there are some problems with the approach.

One is if there are two different frequency ranges, even if specified the same, the two subs will have "unmatched mutual phase characteristics", which is a way of saying they'll hate each other some of the time.

No damage will result, of course. You'll get some sound cancellations, likely in the deep bass range, which is right where you wouldn't want it to happen.

So, I suggest you stick to two of the same type. Two KSW-15's for example. ;-)