How Often Do You Listen

thebes

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 11/9/2004 10:05:36 PM TheEAR wrote:

I once was camping for almost a week at the audio store,listening each day for a solid 7-8hours to gear comparing.Good I am a good buyer or they would have kicked the average Joe out.

----------------

I've spend a fair amount at the local audio stores listening to gear. It is always fun to go listen to new stuff. Heck, I've been known to go over to Best Buy to buy a new CD, then take it over to the audio store and listen to it on thier gear, then compare it to my own setup.

As to how much I listen - lets see, the good 45 minute commute to work and 45 minutes back, thanks to the good audio system I got in my car. Then, I find I rather just put something on the system to listen to, while on the network. For the more interesting music, I'll actually sit in front of my system and listen to it. TV? What the f' is that - oh that's right, that is the thing I use to play video games or watch movies on!

Hey Clu! Thanks for the photo posting tips!

I'm a champion air guitar/keyboard/drum player! Also do a pretty mean Joe Cocker impersonation. Gotta love a white brit singing the black blues! Got to get over to IndyKlipshFan's house and see if he's got any Cocker on Karaoke!

YYYEEEEOOOWWWW- sometimes I feel like screaming! (hats off to Ian Gillan of Deep Purple)

Michael

I'd take a stab at about 5-11 hours a day.

I usually listen to music at work all day (8 hours) and then when i'm at home on my computer in the evening and weekends. In other words, quite a lot of music.

Musical taste goes all over the board.

Frank Sinatra (whatever genre you want to put him in)

Alexisonfire (mix of screaming and singing rock)

Norah Jones (bluesish/jazzy)

The New Amsterdams (slow accoustic)

Deftones (rock)

i don't care who or what type of music it is, as long as it tickles my fancy

We are pretty lucky here in the San Francisco Bay Area. For years we had KJAZ - a commercial 24 hr jazz station. Unfortunately, the license was sold about eight years ago and the frequency became a Spanish language station or some such thing. There was a listener fund raiser to try to save the station, but it came up short.

KCSM, a PBS station based at the College of San Mateo, took up the slack and has become a worthy successor. No talk shows, no news, no traffic and no weather, just commercial free jazz 24 hours a day! If you have a broadband connection it is available over the net.

I work out of a home office so I turn KCSM on when I get up in the morning and it's on until I go to bed at night. I kind of hesitate to play stuff from my own collection because I might miss something on FM that I haven't heard before.

Saturdays are must listen - Sonny Buxton is on from 10 a.m. til 2 p.m. and his show is like a grad school seminar on jazz. He is followed by Dick Conte - a well known Bay Area jazz pianist - combo leader.

Sometimes, late at night, I pull something out of my own collection, pour myself a nice glass or three of the local produce, turn off the lights and really crank up the system, which is why, I suppose, I often wake up in the recliner at 4:30 a.m., only to do it again the next night.

So, in answer to the question, somewhere between 12 to 18 hours a day.

James