RB-75 true 7 series sound? Thumbs UP! Make your frontstage bigger

tunemanjjw

I recently bought a pair of RB-75's from JDILKS on this forum. I have to give this guy a flying-colors endorsement: He is a true gentlemen and a pleasure to work with. Not only did he provide me with very prompt email responses and updates, but due to unexpected circumstances, the day that he intended to ship the speakers got pushed back one day. Without a word, he offered to include a nice set of wall mounts for the 75's(I looked them up online, they were $80) to make up for him shipping a day late. Not only that, but he shipped the very NEXT day with 2-day shipping service to make up for the time. He's not even a business, yet he provided the best customer service I'VE ever received. I'm beyond pleased.

BUT, onto the review

I didn't know what to expect, b/c my Klipsch Ref. dealer doesn't stock rb75's. But for the price he was selling them for (> $200 less than ONLINE) and the reviews I'd read, it was a reasonable risk. I replaced a set of RS-7's on the rear w/the RB-75s. Before putting them in the rear, I put them up front to compare with the RF-7's. The RB75 vocals were very comparable and what most impressed me was they had that signature 7 sound..you know the one -- where the entire WALL is lit up with a vocal. Impressive! Needless to say, I was very pleased right out of the box. The vocal CRUSHED all the other reference bookshelves so easily. I think of them like BMW 3series vs M5. The difference IS NOT subtle.

I mounted the RB75s on the rear, and it's the first time my 7 system has seamed together so well. I now have that sweet 7 sound coming at me from all directions -- or more accurately, it wasn't like I could hear them from all directions, but rather that I was immersed in a sea of 7-sound. Previously, the RS-7 rears were reasonably airy and really not bad, but the RS-7 really didn't carry the signature 7 sound that the RC/RF7s had that makes us love the 7 series -- Probably b/c of the different axis mid/tweeter and the 1" in rs7 vs. the 1.75" tweeter in the 75's. Additionally and most notably, the RS-7's seemed to provide rear fill only, whereas the 75's not only provide a more complete sounding rear, but increased the size of the image of my frontstage. Wow.

Speculations and specifications aside, the RB-75 is an amazing bookshelf loudspeaker. It truly sings in 2 channel, and, in my opinion, truly COMPLETES a 7 series home theater.

For the price JDILKS is selling them for, I highly recommend picking up a pair. Sell your RS-7s. Last I checked he had a pair or two left (he had...5 pairs?). I highly recommend grabbing up a pair while you can! It's the cheapest you'll ever find them.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=54904&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={FB872E92-1406-430F-9E6C-BFDB79948683}

Thanks Jeremiah, I really appreciate your kind words. The RB-75's are awesome speakers - they most definitely rank up there with the RC-7's and RF-7's. Unforunately, it seems like you're the only one here (besides me) that knows - I assume that very few people have had the pleasure of listening to them. I absolutely love them - I traded-in my 4 RF-7's and 1 RC-7 for 9 RB-75's.

----------------

On 11/10/2004 12:54:21 AM jdilks wrote:

The RB-75's are awesome speakers - they most definitely rank up there with the RC-7's and RF-7's. Unforunately, it seems like you're the only one here (besides me) that knows

----------------

Hold that thought... My father is working on putting together a home theater, but the house has to be finished first... so in the coming weeks I may grab your remaining RB-75's.

There are a few of us who also know. Congrats on your purchase. I have been beating the proverbial drum in here about the RB-75s ever since I switched out my "wide dispersion" rears to them at the beginning of this year. They still do surround duty in my all Reference seven setup, but now I am running mine with tube monoblocks - and they sound even better.

You are right. Many here have not heard these speakers, and that is unfortunate. The steep MSRP (compared to the purchase price) causes too many to automatically disregard the speakers. The limited numbers who have heard them, have only heard them in stores - with bad acoustics and poor amplification.

Klipsch needs to figure out how to market them better, lower the MSRP, or something.....Because this is a missed opportunity.

Carl.

I love mine too. I use them for the front's though. They fit easily into my entertainment center. I would have liked RF-7s, but wouldn't be able to fit them into my layout.

MSRP didn't affect me much, since I managed to get them for half price, thanks to an error in the advertised price at Good Guys (back when they first came out).

David