Best CD player

martindemon

I was talking to a store owner and he told me that the sound produced by a CD player (Rotal for example) was much better than that produced by a standard CD/DVD player. Is this really true? I have a Panasonic RV32k but I listened to a good one at the store and it sounded very good but I was testing the headphones (Grado SR325) along with a preamp... Should I spend 400$ to get a CD reader?! My current DVD player cost me 100$ but if it will limit me in the future, I will buy a true CD player but I prefered to ask several people before spending that much. Is Rotel a good one? I heard Musical fidelity makes the X-Ray for that purpose also... What would be your recommandation?

it depends on what you expect from your music, what type of speakers you have..........if you have good amplification, good speakers, than no, go better.there are a few "good" players out there for 100 or less, but that is where it ends "good". if you want great sound stagethan you need a better player. and rotels current line is ok, the denon 2900 beats up on rotels current offeringsthe only rotel i have heard lately that is really ouystanding is the 991 but it is out of production, the 1080 and 1060 are very run of the mill.musical fidelity's x ray is very good however. i have had the rotels in house, and have spent alot of time a-bing the above mentioned machines when i have been speaker shopping, at my local boutiques. the problem with the cheaper machines is that they may have all of the bells and whistles, or current technologies, but they than begin packaging them with weak power supplies, poor processors, cheap electronics, so the output is unbalanced, poor imaging, overpronounced bass....... so cheap is cheap. so again it depends on your expectations, what you are willing to put up with, or better said, what you are willing to do without 12.gif

TAS named the Rotel 1072 CD player at $699 MSRP "product of the year" ...not CD player of the year but audio product of the year. They thought it was a break through in CD playback for under $1k....obviously it is their recommendation for CDP's under $1k.

av123 is selling an improved MusicHall CD-25 for $299 with upgrades to be made available for growth. The Musichall player has a string of good reviews with a price over $500...at $299 I think this would be a nice upgrade from a $100 DVD player.

I think some of the dvd players sound better than many of the cd players.The sony dvp-nc685v is a sacd/dvd/cd/cdr/and I think even mp3 player and has very good sound for about $250.00.I use it along with a jolida tube amp and Klipsch rf3II speakers.

Decware sells a modified one with a tube output stage.

I'm not saying its a fantastic cd player but I haven't

heard a cd player that clearly blows it away other than a $5,000, BAT tube cd player(which only plays cds).But then the BAT was hooked up to avantegarde unos(or)duos which are the best sounding speakers that I have ever heard.

reviews by manufacturers mean nothing, nor do the reviews by magazines mean a whole lot, for the most part they are based on sponsorship, otherwhise why does bose get such outstanding ratings? there are a few good sites, that do nothing but consumer reviews and there are just a slew of dissatisfied rotelers, me being 1 of them, i personally went through 13 machines before i decided to cut and run, when rotel works it is great, but getting it to work consistantly is the hard part