KG4 as center for La Scala?

psg

----------------

On 11/10/2004 11:27:45 AM psg wrote:

Why? I'd rather leave the mains at 0dB and adjust the others. I don't want to increase the noise floor on the La Scala's. But as long as I don't overdrive the speaker with the highest +Xdb offset, I should be okay, right?

----------------

if you set your mains at +3db for exemple, your amp will have to feed the speakers with twice the power of the 0db level, if you set the mains at +6db the amp will have to produce 4 times more power, +9db become 8 time pore power...

so if you need 10w for the center channel for example your amp will have to feed your mains with more than 80w if you set the main level at +10dB!!!!

even if your amp doesn t clip, it will have more distortion than if you drive it at a lower level.

----------------

On 11/12/2004 3:32:30 AM doudou wrote:

----------------

On 11/10/2004 11:27:45 AM psg wrote:

Why? I'd rather leave the mains at 0dB and adjust the others. I don't want to increase the noise floor on the La Scala's. But as long as I don't overdrive the speaker with the highest +Xdb offset, I should be okay, right?

----------------

if you set your mains at +3db for exemple, your amp will have to feed the speakers with twice the power of the 0db level, if you set the mains at +6db the amp will have to produce 4 times more power, +9db become 8 time pore power...

so if you need 10w for the center channel for example your amp will have to feed your mains with more than 80w if you set the main level at +10dB!!!!

even if your amp doesn t clip, it will have more distortion than if you drive it at a lower level.

----------------

Salut Doudou,

I'm quite familiar with the dB scale, thanks. But you were implying it's better to adjust down than up. Is there a reason for that?

Currently, the mains are at 0dB, the rears are at +2 dB and the center is at +8dB. The only ones fed by the receiver's amplifier are the mains. The rear are in a separate power amplifier and the center is the TV. I never watch a movie above -20 dB, and only rarely above -25dB.

----------------

On 11/12/2004 10:09:21 AM psg wrote:

Salut Doudou,

I'm quite familiar with the dB scale, thanks. But you were implying it's better to adjust down than up. Is there a reason for that?

Currently, the mains are at 0dB, the rears are at +2 dB and the center is at +8dB. The only ones fed by the receiver's amplifier are the mains. The rear are in a separate power amplifier and the center is the TV. I never watch a movie above -20 dB, and only rarely above -25dB.

----------------

what you ve done and what i advice should lead to the same result.

i think one of the two methode is asking less from the amp.

in fact lots of people here make this advice and i just trust them because they had a bigger knoledge than me(their number of post was bigger than mine).

On 11/18/2004 9:31:33 PM DillonW wrote:

PSG - The Belle might work for you. It is a couple inches shorter than the La Scala (with base removed). I inverted mine - see attachment.

Wow! That looks heavy on that TV! And huge! 1.gif

A single Heresy will be on the way shortly. I'll try that first anyway.

Thanks!

Yes, Belle weight is about 125lbs. I had to put an oak board accross the top of the TV to spread the weight, and a 2x4 to angle it toward the listening position. I'm working on a design for an entertainment center to help everything flow together, and support the Belle. Thing is, once I tried the Belle at center, there was no going back. The front soundstage is awsome!