Power conditioners

drefrank

I'm new to the forum. I have a pair of Cornwalls ("X" in the serial numbers - 1982??). I've been looking at power conditioners - initially my intent was just to protect my electronics. I have not heard a system with one of these units in place (looking at Monster 5100 or 7000). Has anyone had any experience in this area? Am I going to hear any difference in sound quality? 9.gif

Hey Dref. Ironically, it's the lower-end systems that will benefit most from Monster's isolation and clean-power filtration system. In my reference system, I use the HTPS 7000 and the AVS 2000 for all my source components (leaving my two power-hungry amps for a power regenerator to handle), and while there was slight improvement in the video side of things, there was very little (if any) on the audio spectrum. I have, however, plugged the Monster units into a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet and strangely enough, that $400 device makes a bigger difference than the $3500 Monster package.

In my secondary system, I have everything running through an HTS 2600, and it makes a dramatic difference. And get this: the difference isn't as marked in the video as it is in audio. Airier, wider soundstage, and crisper transients are all buzzwords that come to mind.

I'm not sure what kind of system you're running, but if it's a more moderate one, I would highly recommend a simple Monster unit. If, however, your system quite easily puts most others to shame, I'd look more towards the likes of PS Audio's Powerplants, Furman's IT Reference, Exact Power's EP/SP-15A combos, Shunyata, or several of the other products mentioned in the link I gave you above.

I've turned back the clock (or maybe haven't let it advance)as to my equipment. I'm using vintage tube gear - Marantz Model 9 amps, Model 7 preamp and a 10B tuner. I did give in and added a Sony SACD player. I'm really happy with my Cornwalls, although I'd go with Khorns if I had a second corner available. I have read about the PS power plants - but am reluctant to make a fairly large investment if the sound is not going to improve.

----------------

On 11/11/2004 9:41:30 PM drefrank wrote:

I have read about the PS power plants - but am reluctant to make a fairly large investment if the sound is not going to improve.

----------------

Improve it will. Too what degree, depends on your ears. Some may say dramatically. Some may say barely. If you're the kind of person (read: smart/not like me) that thinks spending an arm and a leg simply to extract a miniscule amount of improvement is ridiculous, then I say good! Don't ever lose that trait! Once you go down the neverending road to perfection, relativity becomes warped, judgment blurs into oblivion, and you end up throwing away thousands and thousands of dollars to gain that extra .0001% of performance.

did you check out Stereophile's recommendations, they may be expensive, but their class C, D and E choices are illuminating...

However, if you can afford $299 for the Standard, I strongly urge that you spend the extra $100 for the High Current UO (15- or 20-amp IEC version, depending on what type of power cord you use). With the High Current UO, you get the higher-quality Power Port socket (which would cost $49.50 if you were to buy it separately) and sound quality that's significantly better than with the Standard UO. Although the P300 Power Plant offers even better sonic performance, it does so at a much higher initial cost, and has the disadvantages of an amplifier compared to a passive component like the UO: heat, ongoing cost of power consumption, and having to find the space for yet another bulky component in your listening room.

http://www.stereophile.com/accessoryreviews/460/index2.html

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late, but using the Monster HTPS7000 myself, upgraded from the 5100. The PS Audio is great also, using their powercords on my Marantz Reference gear(mini labs).

The main reason I bought it was protection for my equipment. I haven't really noticed much in my audio quality cleaning, but video quality clean up is a knock out in my eye...10.gif

Ever want to part with the Marantz DF let me know. nice gear 10.gif

Thanks for your input. I relayed a few questions to PS Audio and got a response from Paul McGowan. I've pretty much decided to go with the P500 Power Plant and will add an xStream power cable. Already have a power port - which did make a positive (albeit subtle) difference in my system. Probably will wait until after the first of the year as I believe some minor cosmetic changes to the plant are in the offing. Doubt I'll ever want to part with my vintage electronics, but wish I had a better space situation so I could go with the Khorns.1.gif

----------------

On 11/29/2004 8:54:18 PM drefrank wrote:

I've pretty much decided to go with the P500 Power Plant and will add an xStream power cable.

----------------

Cool! I have a P-300 which I use for my turntable and CD player, which I thought benefitted a lot from it. I have to keep the frequency on 60Hz, of course, because of the motors. I think I read in its lit that different frequencies might sound better on the electronics. Your results should be interesting.

Larry