Polarity , Low Pass Enable, Low Pass Cross over RSW 15

clt1bkc

Need some advice. I just purchased the RSW 15 sub. I need answeres to how the polarity, low pass enable/disable, and low pass crossover frequency (40-120) should be set for my home theather set up.

I currently am waiting on RF 7 fronts to come in. In the mean time I want to listen to this new sub. I have small speakers(Quinett II satellites) set up currently for fronts. Here are my questions:

With the small speakers up front how should I set the following and why? Please answer for a novice who is anxious to learn.

Polarity - does it matter?

Low Pass Enable/Disable

Low Pass Crossover - I assume this is only important if the low pass is enabled. If the low pass is enabled what is the best crossover freq. for small speakers. My understandings is the crossover helps to blend the sub with the fronts. If I am correct I would assume that this is important and may be affected by the type and quality of the speakers you are using.

Same questions above when my RF7's replace the small satelittes up front?

Polarity

Low Pass Enable/Disable

Low Pass Crossover

I thank all for your time in helping educate a novice.

if you're letting your receiver/pre/pro handle the bass management and will be sending the sub a "filtered" signal, then you'll want to disable the low-pass filter, as the receiver/pre/pro will handle the crossover duties. this will bypass the sub's low-pass filter altogether.

if you're going to send the sub an "unfiltered", non-bass-managed pre-amp level full-range signal, then you'll need to enable the low-pass filter on the sub and adjust the sub's low-pass filter appropriately for your speakers.

either way you do it, at the receiver OR at the sub, the crossover (or low-pass filter) is adjusted according to the low frequency capabilities of your speakers.

the polarity setting has nothing to do with speaker size; that adjustment helps toi insure that your sub and speakers are "in phase".

Just to continue where sivadselim left off. Setting your phase should be easy. Try one setting and listen, switch it and listen again. Choose the setting that is the loudest. I do have RF-7s and an RSW-15 myself and have leaving the crossover off seems to sound better to me. Good luck.

CD

----------------

On 11/15/2004 9:41:37 AM cdsang wrote:

Just to continue where sivadselim left off. Setting your phase should be easy. Try one setting and listen, switch it and listen again. Choose the setting that is the loudest. I do have RF-7s and an RSW-15 myself and have leaving the crossover off seems to sound better to me. Good luck.

CD

----------------

As a ps...leaving the crossover off completely will, in an HT .1 situation, be the correct setting since the 2 crossovers (sub and processor) probably have different dB/octave slopes and it would be pointless to try and match them.

When sending an unfiltered signal to the sub your receiver will either be manually adjustable with a variable filter or have simply a large/small setting. In the case of the latter, I would choose small so the majority of the low and all LFE will be sent to the sub since it will definitely be better reproduced there. Even in the case of your RF7's.

----------------

On 11/16/2004 3:52:43 PM CAS wrote:

When sending an unfiltered signal to the sub your receiver will either be manually adjustable with a variable filter or have simply a large/small setting.

----------------

that's a filtered signal. an LFE output on a receiver is filtered by definition.

an unfiltered signal from the receiver would be a pre-amp level, full-range signal that WOULD require utilization of the sub's internal crossover.

----------------

On 11/16/2004 5:20:46 PM sivadselim wrote:

----------------

On 11/16/2004 3:52:43 PM CAS wrote:

When sending an unfiltered signal to the sub your receiver will either be manually adjustable with a variable filter or have simply a large/small setting.

----------------

that's a filtered signal. an LFE output on a receiver is filtered by definition.

an unfiltered signal from the receiver would be a pre-amp level, full-range signal that WOULD require utilization of the sub's internal crossover.

----------------

Sorry. I tend to wander off when typing quickly at work so as not to look too unproductive! 9.gif

That is correct. Point being the way you set your mains and satellites can vary, however during your DD and DTS reproduction you'll want to try the small settings. Your receiver will most likely be the processor as well, so bass management will be done before the signal reaches your sub. Don't worry too much about the sub's crossover.