What is a good DVD recorder

Dylanl

There are several very good DVD recorders out there. I personally own a Samsung DVD-R 4000 (made by Panasonic) which I just love. Yes you can burn copies of your VHS tapes to DVD. In selecting a recorder you have to first decide which format you want. There are DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD- RAM, DVD-RW. You need to check compatibility with any player you plan on playing discs you burn on. My Sammy burns DVD-R & DVD-RAM's. DVD-R's are compatible with almost any DVD player out there. My other suggestion is that you buy a name brand deck not one of those no name decks offered for $199 at Wal-Mart and other places.

----------------

On 11/15/2004 3:28:49 PM Dylanl wrote:

Looking to buy a DVD recorder any suggestions. One other question: Can I record from my VCR tapes to DVD's.

----------------

I don't know how much money you plan on spending, but something like the Panasonic DMR-E95H would be nice. The unit has a 160gig harddrive, which you can record things too, kinda like TiVo. You can also plug in your digital video camera to download and save your footage to the harddrive. There is also a memory-card reader so you can transfer images from your digital still camera. You can then edit things on the unit, such as taking out commercials and such and then burn it to DVD. The thing does cost $800 though. That is something that I'd love to eventually get.

be carefull when you go to buy a dvd recorder, i saw the replies and they are missing information, i mean that dvd recorders for the most part record the formats mentioned, but a good recorder also records 2 more dvd formats that i cant remember just off hand (old age) i almost bought the pioneer dvd recorder it had the 2 missing formats but it was 1000 dollars, it seems that the formats were negative aspects of the dvd-r? oh my goodness, i will see if i can find out for you

I am not certain but I never heard of a way to record tv shows with a set top dvd burner. Most people use a DVR for that purpose. You could archive vhs to dvd with a pc burner. There are tons of programs and devices for that purpose. I would just start doing some research. Try searching google.