ceiling mounting with aircraft cable

ken kaz

im still trying to figure out the best way to hang a set of quartets from the ceiling.

somone recommended screwing 4 eyebolts into the side of the speakers and suspending them with aircraft cable.

Apparently this is a farily common way of speaker mounting in clubs.

This will look slick, i might do it. but the speakers will not be ridgidly mounted.

with this be a problem?

your thoughts are appreciated

kaz

I can't see why there would be a problem if they are not mounted "ridgidly".

For safety's sake, be sure your mountings are rated at 4 times the actual weight of the speaker. Four times is the standard where human injury might occur.

If you are in an earthquake zone, go higher. I can't say how much higher without knowing your location.

Also note that not a lot of cabinets are built for being mounted with eyebolts. If you do this, make sure that you're not putting wierd strains on your cabinet (i've seen situations where the whole cabinet just falls apart in the air...not a pretty site).

One thing to think about when hanging the speaker is you should put the woofer on the top and the tweeter on the bottom (hang it upside down). This will give you corner loading for your bass while reducing the amount of reflections your horns see.

If you don't want to permanently damage your speakers by drilling eyebolts into them, there are alternative mounting methods if you're intersted. For example, you could purchase a wall mount TV stand and place your speaker on top of that platform. Another method is to build a shelf for the speaker to sit on that's slightly wider and then you could use aircraft cable or threaded rod to hold that shelf up. The nice thing about threaded rod is that it makes it easier to change the angle of your speaker.

I was thinking about doing the same type of thing in my loft, (it's not really a loft, but that is how it was presented to us by the realator). I am worried amout vibration, so I was thinking about hanging them. I thought that I could buil a shelf with toe boards around the sides to keep the speaker from shifting, and the hang the shelves useing that braided cable. I figured I could use eye bolts directly into the roof joists. You try it first and let me know how it works!

Dave

im doing this today. I was a bit concerned about the cabinet construction, so i took the woofer out. All of the edges and corners are 45 degree glue with a reinforceing member in each corner/edge. (which is glued and nailed)

this cabinet is way over built.

I am going to run 1/8 screw hooks into the corners, so i will engage the top and side members.

I am going to use one in each corner,

there is no way this thing is goin to fall apart. I bet one hook could support the speaker with a person hanging on it. as a matter of fact i will try it.

more later

kaz