sound of music

trond_reinertsen

I moved to tubes about 2 years ago and was surprised how much more musical and real music sounded through my ProAc Response 2.5s. I have owned these beautiful speakes for 8 years and always thought I would never replace them. Then two days I auditioned Klipsch RF-7. I had never before seen or heard Klipsch speakers but of course read about them in the hifi magazines.

Compared to the sleek and elegant ProAcs, the RF-7 to me looked a bit overwhelming, even vulgar. Like an average European refrigerator almost. But the sound !

Amazing. Played through an all tube system the sheer musicality and live feeling was hair rising. I spent about 3 hrs shuffling through various CDs and LPs and different music styles from opera to heavy metal

I ended buying the pair and is now only waiting for the opportunity to smuggle them unnoticed into my living room. I'm sure the wife will forgive me when she hears the sound of music...

You have noticed the same thing I have in the past 2 years about tubes.

I have several musical instruments in the home for benchmarking against.

I have tried SS amps from Denon, HK, Yamaha and Sherwood Newcastle in the past 4 years.

None of the them comes close to the musical detail, attack /decay, and soundstage I experience with the vintage Scott tube amps I have enjoyed.

WHELL bought his RF-7s to my house for an afternon several weeks ago.

Very nice!

Welcome to the club.

Got my RF-7s in place now. The ProAc 2.5s they replaced suddenly sound boring ! Very sad. And even if the size of them is reflected in the huge soundstage they still are somehow dominating in our 45 m2 living room. I actually wanted to take them back to the seller. And it was my wife who is an opera lover who wanted to keep them because of how they play opera and classical music, so they will stay.

But what I wanted to say really was about system matching; with the RF-7s I find that my trusty CJ-MV52 amplifier, that I have always preferred with Svetlana EL34 tubes now sounds better with EH 6CA7s. I have never before found system matching to be as important. Some would maybe say there is little difference in 6CA7 and EL34 but with these speakers I found the difference to be surprising. Don't take anything for granted !