Objective views of 4.1 vs. Midiland 8200

Roobomb

ok i totally would go for the promedia's if those are your choices... i did and do not regret it. you get more watts, lower hertz's, more dB, and more history from the company, not to mention THX to top it off.

From what i have seen the only advantage is the remote, well $89 will get you the audio tornado which i think is better than MidiLand's equivalent.

The center channel is useless (i say this when i am about to get eh new promedia 5.1's!) in most computer enviroments. The klipsch's have a phantom center that is really good.

Another advantage to Klipsch is the seperate tweeter and mid. That really is nice, improves sound and to me shows quality design.

The klipsch's look cooler... nouf said bout that!

the sub goes lower and louder... that means less distortion (which goes for the whole system) at higher volumes. it has dual 6.5" side firing subs vs. one in the midilands.

the midilands MSRP (manufactorer's suggested retail price) is $399... that is the same as the Klipsch 5.1's!

If you want something great, get teh 4.1's and the Audio Tornado to get eh remote control and save about 10 bucks, or go for the 5.1's and have teh best there is with no remote... (get one of those later... there are news ones out it seems everyday!)

Final thought... did you really think the midilands could beat the klipsch?

i was almost going to get eh midilands till i was able to listen to them neck and neck... (whatever the saying is..) and the klipsch kicked their arse! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

Ok, if a 4.1 vs. 8200 comparison is what you're looking at, I'll just poke some holes into Justins post Smile.gif

Heh, his list of advantages are...

- watts (HA!)

- lower Hz on da sub, probably, but the Pro 4.1's and the 8200's use 6.5" drivers, so they should go just about at LOW as each other, but the Pro's sub, which is a dual 6.5" setup should go LOUDER.

- more dB? Well, I'm too damn lazy to look it up, but if memory serves correct, the Pro 4.1's SHOULD be a bit louder then the 8200's.

- history of company? meaningless

- THX? AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HAHAHHAHA... AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

- the centre channel of the 8200's is NOT useless, and I think even Klipsch has admitted that by MAKING a 5.1 system, wouldn't you? Smile.gif

- No argument on the seperate mid/tweeter, it does usually make a large dif.

- Klipsch look cooler, ya, guess so, but ah well

Now, if you want to look at 5.1's vs. 8200's, then ya, definately go with the 5.1's. they will play louder, will have deeper bass, and of course, look nicer :P

you say

- watts (HA!) ----- Well the klipsch has 200 watts more

- lower Hz on da sub, probably, but the Pro 4.1's and the 8200's use 6.5" drivers, so they should go just about at LOW as each other, but the Pro's sub, which is a dual 6.5" setup should go LOUDER. ---- are you just trying to prove my point? no, you could have a crappy 10 inch sub that will not go down as low as the klipsch's

- more dB? Well, I'm too damn lazy to look it up, but if memory serves correct, the Pro 4.1's SHOULD be a bit louder then the 8200's. --- ummm, my point exactly. where are you going with that?

- history of company? meaningless ---- Oh my gosh, did you just say that? Would you buy from a two day old company called "we got good Sound"? niether would I. I buy Klipsch, Land Rover, Intel, Creative, IBM, EPSON, and HP because they have a history in the business... I will never again make the mistake of buying a no name computer monitor and being stuck with a POS monitor from ProView/MagView

- THX? AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HAHAHHAHA... AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA ------ umm well to me that is important because it shows that they have been looked at by SOMEONE who really knows sound

- the centre channel of the 8200's is NOT useless, and I think even Klipsch has admitted that by MAKING a 5.1 system, wouldn't you? ----- actually no, they made the klipsch 5.1's because of a post i made a while ago... search for it, "5.1, makes sense"

- No argument on the seperate mid/tweeter, it does usually make a large dif. ---- so why did you just repeat what i said... AGAIN

- Klipsch look cooler, ya, guess so, but ah well --- once again, you just repeat me, looks is nearly as important as sound if you have to look at them all the time. My chior teacher has a great voice but i can not look at her for an hour, just not possible with that face!

i would expect better from you VIV...

------------------

-justin

justin.. he repeated your points cause he agreed with you on that, y do you have to have a go at him?!!

who cares who its make by and wat the specs are.

all we want in the end is it displays the sound spectrum well(4.1 will be louder, not deeper.. theoretically), how loud can it get and doesnt screw up.. etc. apparently, klipsch 4.1, from wat I see.. more likely to screw up than 8200s.

peace!

------------------

shreck87x92.jpg

LOL, this is phunny. And what're you saying you expect more from me? Heh, I wouldn't expect much from me based on just the sporadic postings here. Anyways...

Watts - Meaningless because you can have all the power you want, but the speakers themselves aren't greatly improved because of it. Look a the X-fires, they're about 90w or so, and they get louder then the Pro's and they're more neutral then the Pro's as well.

History of company - Well, aren't you a big boy, buying all the BIG brand items? The problem with that is, when you limit yourself to the BIG ticket items, you tend to get cocky and ignore all other possibilities. You think to yourself, "hey, I'm paying a HELLUVA lotta cash to get this, it IS the best!". The problem with that is, you don't look at the other brands out there, and you miss out on items that would be considered a better deal. Intel? HELL NO, AMD all the way unless it's not your cash. Creative? (I assume sound cards), LOL, you can get the Philips Acoustic Edge or the Game Theatre XP, which both outperform the Live 5.1s in sound quality. IBM? (well, depends on what you're talking about, but for some of their hardware, there are better options. Epson/HP, well, depending on the hardware in particular, there might be better from other brands, it all depends. The point is, you limit yourself to the big names, and you miss out on a lot.

THX - Ya, THX means something, but the MULTIMEDIA THX cert. is a monsterous joke. There are better speakers then the Pro's out there, but wait, they're not THX certified! Oh, guess that means the Pro's ARE better, right? HELL NO. THX Multimedia seriously means nothing, it's just something to stick on the box so people will see it and say, "HOLY CRAP THX CERTIFIED SPEAKERS!".

As for repeating you, well, obviously you've never heard of agreeing with something you've said :P

sorry bout the " i would expect better from you VIV" thing, i just always wanted to say that! LoL... the reason i buy name brand is because everytime i but offbrand or not the original, i get screwed...

Had a landrover range rover, though the isuzu tropper II looks the same... BIG WRONG! Smile.gif

Had an HP laser printer center, saw the minolta was $500 less, what a mistake, i can not even use the bottom trays.

bought and eMachine... actually two cause the first one lasted only 2 months, the second, 4.

i do realize you were agreeing some times, that was my point, just say i agree with justin except when he says...

still, the watts means a lot, i can play the x files at 90 watts on teh klipsch (watts is not noise though, using it in your analogy) and sound great. but if i had a 100watt system and played it at 90, the distortion would be that of my best friend trying to sing, Dont Cry for me Argentina from her 3 story balcony. LoL!

just my thoughts...

------------------

-justin

Bah, BB wars are boring (heh, no substance), so coo.

And this msg looks screwy because of my AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA's.

Anyways, suffice it to say, go out, listen to the 8200's and the Pro's, and decide which you like better, easiest and best way.

If there is a Tweeter Home Entertainment Group store,

they have many names, go to tweeter.com for all of

them, buy the pro's 5.1 from them... the reason is that

if klipsch comes out with a 6.2 within a year, you can

upgrade to those by just paying the difference.

I did that and next week I will be trading in my v2.400's

for 5.1's and only paying the 137 buck difference!

the last BB war I had was on another BB but the guy

was acting like I was an idiot... then he messed up and

bragged about his IQ, said it was a 99, well, I just HAD

to let him know what mine was... a 127, 3 points from

Genius (well, some say 140 is but hey, I am only 17

and was 16 at the time). Well that shut him

up.

I think this message should look right cause I hit

enter after every line... we will just have to see

I wonder why this is the only post that does that!?

see ya

------------------

-justin

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 08-07-2001 at 09:11 AM

127 IQ eh, decent, I'm sitting high at 142 myself, so :P

as for the previous comment, a 6.2 setup? Heh, a rear centre speaker wouldn't make much of a dif at all, the next logical step up from a 5.1 setup is a 7.1, but since there're no 7.1 sound cards, not much point in going that route yet.

Bah, headphone jacks. The XP isn't a TRUE 7.1 snd card tho, it's just a 5.1 that has the ability to use headphones because of the breakout box, but true 7.1 cards (the cards, themselves, not things like breakout box and whatnot), aren't around (hell, they might be, but they'd be in the higher end audiophile categories, not mainstream public cards)

As for IQ, well, I've taken 4 seperate official IQ tests from seperate sources, and they ranged from about 139 - 145, so 142 is a decent average.