Did I do this right?

cdsang

I have read and talked to people about the sub placement method but wasn't sure if the way I did it would be any worse or better. I was moving my stuff around anyway so I figured it would be worth the extra work. I placed my RSW-15 on my bed with the active woofer facing the direction I would sit. I used my Stryke test CD to play 30-100 hz test tones while walking around listening to sub and seeing were it should be placed. I then placed something were it sounded best and put the active woofer were I placed the object facing in the same direction it started. It sounds ok, but I haven't tested its frequency range because I have either been busy or tired. My other question is, would an EQ be a good idea? I was also wondering to, is it normal to have the change the subs volume when you change a CD/DVD or any other media? I notced a big drop in bass when I changed a CD and turned up the bass till it sounded right. Happy Holidays everyone.

CD

----------------

On 11/25/2004 6:29:48 PM cdsang wrote:

I placed my RSW-15 on my bed with the active woofer facing the direction I would sit. I used my Stryke test CD to play 30-100 hz test tones while walking around listening to sub and seeing were it should be placed. I then placed something were it sounded best and put the active woofer were I placed the object facing in the same direction it started.

----------------

Sounds about right... but I hope you considered the fact that sound is 3D. You should be placing your sub in your listening position at ear level... and you listen at different locations in the room on your hands and knees at subwoofer level.

----------------

I was also wondering to, is it normal to have the change the subs volume when you change a CD/DVD or any other media? I notced a big drop in bass when I changed a CD and turned up the bass till it sounded right.

----------------

It frequently happens, as it entirely depends on how the sound engineer mixed it in the studio. Some guys like hot bass, and others dial it in very low.

Later...

Rob

wow, someone replyed. Thank you for answering as it does help. Well, I think if I redid my test I would of placed in the same basic area. Well if its true that you have to change your subs volume, how would you know what to set it to? I did it by ear, but even with all the test stuff before the music might actually not help. Again thank you for replying.

CD

----------------

On 11/28/2004 10:35:47 PM cdsang wrote:

wow, someone replyed. Thank you for answering as it does help. Well, I think if I redid my test I would of placed in the same basic area. Well if its true that you have to change your subs volume, how would you know what to set it to? I did it by ear, but even with all the test stuff before the music might actually not help. Again thank you for replying.

----------------

Your welcome... 2.gif

Most people will set their sub with pink noise... first through your mains and then through your sub. It helps being two people... one can turn the volume up or down and the other person listens until it's at the same volume as your mains.

I use a SPL meter from radio shack.

I originally went a step further and ran multiple test tones (sine waves all recorded at the same volume) through my system. The db readings allowed me to plot an approximate frequency response on Excel... and adjust the sub so it evenly integrated into the mains.

I now moved up to a software RTA program that gives even more flexibility... but that is a more complex discussion altogether.

So what do I do with those flat recordings? Either live with the engineer's poor choice or use the tone controls... to adjust the bass and treble on the fly.

That is what they are there for... 2.gif

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 11/28/2004 10:35:47 PM cdsang wrote:

how would you know what to set it to?

----------------

Cranks those knobs until it sounds good. As always, it's good to run an actual test to integrate your sub "correctly" and then make a note where those settings are. Then after that, you're going to have to fight the differences in recordings with your own tone control. If you don't like this idea, then you can always bring all your music into a wave editing program and then EQ everything to how you want it to sound and then you'll never have to worry about turning knobs again. Yes, I know that'd be tedious but it's really your only other option.

Thank you for the reply as always. My only problem with the EQ is I have 2 ways to set it up. Tape to Monitor or DVD player to EQ to Reciver. I have thought of a single channel EQ for my sub as well because my room is just terrible for my setup. I normally listen to music anyway, so I don't feel to left out eqing just my mains and sub. I thought of buying an AudioSource EQ-200 and maybe the ART 351 for the sub. I realize the audiosource could do the bass part to, but I do useally set my mains to small when useing my sub. I also own the digital version of the RadioShack SPL meter and 2 set up disk. Stryke and Digital Video Essentials. This may sound strange, but I have a few extra pillows that I use for room accoustics but just for my sub.

CD