Receiver Volume

Klipsch-daddy

Here's a questions for all you HT nuts.. I have a issue with my surrounds being to small of a speaker (quintets) to be heard really well in my living room. I have found out that if I leave my surrounds on a setting of +10 and my center and fronts on +2, the fronts and center don't over power the quintets. But instead turning my receiver volume to -39 I have to turn it down to -29 or better. So this is my question, is it ok to turn the receiver up that high vs. being able to hear the surrounds better. Thanks

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: KSB 3.1

CENTER: KSC-C1

REAR: WHITE QUINTETS

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

FOR SALE PINANNCLE WIDESCREEN CTR (105.00)

k-daddy, have u considered changing your name to k-diddy? Smile.gif (sorry bad puffy combs ref joke)

ok now going from -39 to -29 is turning the overall volume UP. -29 is fine. i usually listen to mine at -20 to 0. depends a lot on the input/devices, the nature of the preamp/amp, etc.

among other things, u want a balanced sound from all the speaks. using a sound meter to set those levels?

The only thing I using is my ears.. ha. I just did not know if it was bad to run the receiver that high over a period of time. thanks boa

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: KSB 3.1

CENTER: KSC-C1

REAR: WHITE QUINTETS

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

FOR SALE PINANNCLE WIDESCREEN CTR (105.00)

I don't think running the receiver that high will cause any problems with the receiver at all. I would only be concerned about my surrounds being overdriven by having them set that high AND turning the receiver up to compensate for the balance differences. As long as you don't hear any distortion, then I am sure you will be fine.

Bryan